OK to switch and plug before paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Re: OK to switch and plug before paint?

Originally posted by james wuebker:
Maybe everyone just communicate better. I believe people are getting lazy or we're not communicating very well during a project like this or anything else.
Well, I've done many, many residential projects where I've never seen a soul to communicate with. Sure, I could have made a phonecall if I felt compelled to do so. Many projects with famaliar builders start with a phonecall or fax, I show up and ruff at the appointed time, finish on the appointed day, and fax in my last bill. Get a check in the mail. No human contact ever involved. Just the way a well-run project should be in my estimation.

[ May 15, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

physis

I was gonna comment that I've never seen that yet. Then I thought, who knows, it could happen.

james wuebker

I agree with electricmanscott. Communication will never hurt you. Try it sometime who doesn't agree.
Jim

mdshunk

Originally posted by physis:
I was gonna comment that I've never seen that yet. Then I thought, who knows, it could happen.
I am admittedly surprised that I've gotten this type of response. Have none of you ever been on a project where there were no issues that couldn't be immediately solved by the sub and didn't have to involve the GC? I'm talking simple residential with decent prints and a simple layout. Have none of you ever taken on work from a famaliar GC over the phone and exchanged paperwork by fax or regular mail? I wasn't trying to downplay the importance of communication, but sometimes there's nothing to communicate about.

physis

Well, that's why I din't say anything initially. Because I can imagine never talking to or seeing anybody. In other lines of work I've done that. But I still have to say that I've never done an electrical job without directly dealing with somebody.

Edit: Well, I'm sure I've done a couple, but nothing I can think of at the moment.

[ May 15, 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

mc5w

What the electrical and telephone utilites use to repair a lead sheathed cable is a heat shrink sleeve.

A lot of unions are extremely racist. For instance, it is common for union plumbing contractors to specify that someone who is installing drain pipes has to have sprinkler certification. THAT is pure baloney. One of the few unions that is not a whitest supremacist organization is Teamsters. Last year Teamsters was only able to get me 6 days of work!

I one time asked Ohio Edison's electricians if I could terminate one of their high voltage cables at a padmount transformer for them. I aksed them why I wanted to do that and told them about Alcoa. They then laughed at Alcoa because 15,000 volt power cables are very easy. You need to understand that Unorganized Auto Wreckers are somehow brain damaged. If Detroit really wanted to compete against Japan they would be building substatially aluminum cars.

One of the other kinds of BS that I get on job interviews is replacement of surface mounted electronic components. I can never get it across to mismanagement morons that surface mounted componets are Crazy Glued to the board and the pins a BRAZED to the board with a single electrode spot welder. Solder is not used on surface mounted boards - the original purpose of surface mounting was to build steel core printed circuit boards that the U.S. Navy could slam into the deck of an aircraft carrier. Also, when a digital to analog converter decides to short the +12 volt analog power into the 5 volt digital logic most of the 5 volt chips get toasted. At that point the entire computer numerical control has to be tossed into the trash.

I have also had to work a 32 hour workweek so that the 2nd shift electrician could work a 55.1 hour workweek. Explain how how that works in terms other than politics is a mental illness that revolves around money.

[ May 16, 2005, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: mc5w ]

mc5w

I most definitely would not have taped up and energized wiring devices hanging out of the wall on old work. However, that is a moot point because people who have children cannot afford to fix their wiring.

One time one of my female friends told me that she could no longer afford to go dancing because she was broke. I aske why and she told me that was putting one of her sons through medical school. I said, "That broke!"

celtic

Originally posted by mc5w:
What the electrical ..utilites use to repair a lead sheathed cable is a heat shrink sleeve.
I don't think so....why is it lead sheathed in the first place? Maybe because of some harsh conditions? What ever happened to repairing/ rebuilding insulation "with like materials"?
Only you know what you are talking about.

A lot of unions are extremely racist.
So are a lot of people.

I one time asked Ohio Edison's electricians if I could terminate one of their high voltage cables at a padmount transformer for them. I aksed them why I wanted to do that and told them about Alcoa. They then laughed at Alcoa because 15,000 volt power cables are very easy.
Sure it's easy...when you do it everyday it gets easier.
Are you sure they weren't laughing AT you? Here's some boob asking the utili. worker if they can do his job to get some "experience"....putting the utili. worker's job at stake because the boob is "unqualified"....we won't even get into the whole legal/ins. aspect.

You need to understand....
No, you need to understand that you may be your own worst enemy.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

One of the things that I have also later learned is that most machine builders will not allow any customer access to a programmable controller program, partly because of copyright, trade secrecy, and safety issues. What that means is that I have to debug the system using the garbage in garbage out principle. 99% of breakdowns associated with programmable controllers are caused by broken wires, misaligned limit switches, and jammed gearboxes. 0.9% of the time an I/O board for the programmable controller goes bad. It is a federal felony to modify somebody else's computer program and then use it for commercial purposes without their permission. Copyright holder NEVER give out permission for somebody else to modify their program because they want to pocket the labor dollars.
This is one of those things that is both true and not true. One of the reasons machine builders do not like to leave their programs accessable to the outside world is that people modify them and than deny they made any changes, claiming whatever the end result of the modifications are is the machine builder's fault.

I have been there a number of times where modifications made by someone after I left a working machine caused it to fail, and yet I was expected to fix it - generally the expectation was the fix would be free, even though the reason for the failure was a modification someone else made.

I don't like locking a program as it makes debugging difficult for the end user, assuming he has anyone competent to do the debugging. But I know a lot of OEMs that do lock the programs as a way of reducing trouble calls. Service departments cost money.

Often the people making the modifications have only a vague understanding of what they are doing and don't even realize what they have caused, even after the fact.

I prefer the guys having a problem call me and ask up front if they encounter a problem they can't easily fix themselves. Much easier that way.

I also try to build in good diagnostics so that it's fairly obvious just what is wrong and points the guy in the right direction. Although, some people just won't use the tools you give them.

Humorous anecdote time. OEM gets call from machine owner. Machine that had been running fine for almost a year now won't work. Machine starts to run but than just stops for "no reason".

OEM sends service tech out to look at machine. He makes similar report. I talk to him and ask if when this happens is there anything unusual going on, or are there any alarm messages being shown on the screen. Answer is no, but it only happens on Saturdays. Service tech is convinced the PLC program knows it is Saturday and is causing this problem. He tells OEM's company president he is 100% sure of this.

I finally end up going to site on a Saturday with the OEM's engineering manager. Maint guy and service tech are there. Operator pushes start button, machine starts to run, than stops. Big red banner comes up on CRT "LOW AIR PRESSURE". Operator reaches over and clears banner. "See, it just stops for no reason at all".

Turns out the plant shut off one of their compressors on Saturdays, and the pressure setting on the one they were running was right at the setting on the low air pressure switch on the machine, so on Saturdays sometimes you would get lucky and the switch would trip.

I asked if they always got the big red "LOW AIR PRESSURE" banner on the CRT when this happens and they indicated that was the case. The OEM's engineering manager and I just did not even know what to say for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.