Old work box for light fixture support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

My understanding is that an old work box (metal or plastic) can be cut in to a ceiling or wall to support a device like switches, receptacles, and smoke alarms using the wall or ceiling surface for support. If installing an old work box to hang a fixture the box needs to be supported from a framing member.
I opened up a wall the other day to install a bar box for a wall sconce. Something in the back of my mind says you can use the wall (not framing member) for box support on wall mount fixtures to a certain weight limit. Am I right or wrong? Looking in 314.23 but not finding anything. looking in luminaires but seems to bring me back to 314. Any direction to locate if it's there?
Thank you

ritelec

Thank you,
Read the link and 314.27. Not very clear or cut and dry.. "guessing" Lighting fixtures on ceiling go to framing member ( unless I get lazy and it looks like the box and ceiling material will support it). Wall (vertical) box also goes to framing member unless the fixture is 6 pounds or under and /or more weight if the box is rated for the weight and it looks like the wall will support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.