Oregon Supervisors Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have a friend who is taking the Oregon Supervisors Exam, its reported to be very difficult, especially the load calculation portion. Apparently the exam is similar to an electrical engineers exam. Any suggestions for study material or exam prep classes?

solis

I took the exam about 3 weeks ago, the code portion was not that bad, passed that portion, Hardest ones were "Oregon's interpretation of a code" the section they told me to download the OAC of Oregon from their website, and all the stuff they said on their exam bulletin, but none contained one of the code issue's they were talking about. But I passed that portion with an 80%
KNOW your load calc's. All of them. Gave me a dorm, 30 rooms, 1500 sq feet, fans, heater, AC, cook stove, about 10 things.
Size the feeder, size the breaker, size the neutral, size the ground, size breaker to the unit, things like that. Miss the first, you are likely to miss the next 8 questions. Taking it again.
Heard they change up the building to single family, commercial, and a couple of others.
I have taken about 6 masters tests in different states for licensing for the company I work for, this was by far the hardest.
All you guys who have passed, GOOD FOR YOU!! Sincerely, it' shard and you did a good thing
Scott

OregonSE

GSE Oregon

GSE Oregon

Definitely is a diffacult test. finally passed it a few years back and glad it was over. It wasnt what I expected my first attempt.

OregonSE

GSE Oregon

GSE Oregon

I have a friend who is taking the Oregon Supervisors Exam, its reported to be very difficult, especially the load calculation portion. Apparently the exam is similar to an electrical engineers exam. Any suggestions for study material or exam prep classes?

I ended up taking a prep course given by the past Cheif of Oregon who made wrote the tests. I give thanks to John Powell.
a prep course I would highly recommend.
http://www.electtrainnw.com/#!about/w4ndq

OregonSE

GSE Oregon

GSE Oregon

I took the exam about 3 weeks ago, the code portion was not that bad, passed that portion, Hardest ones were "Oregon's interpretation of a code" the section they told me to download the OAC of Oregon from their website, and all the stuff they said on their exam bulletin, but none contained one of the code issue's they were talking about. But I passed that portion with an 80%
KNOW your load calc's. All of them. Gave me a dorm, 30 rooms, 1500 sq feet, fans, heater, AC, cook stove, about 10 things.
Size the feeder, size the breaker, size the neutral, size the ground, size breaker to the unit, things like that. Miss the first, you are likely to miss the next 8 questions. Taking it again.
Heard they change up the building to single family, commercial, and a couple of others.
I have taken about 6 masters tests in different states for licensing for the company I work for, this was by far the hardest.
All you guys who have passed, GOOD FOR YOU!! Sincerely, it' shard and you did a good thing
Scott

http://www.electtrainnw.com/#!about/w4ndq

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I took the test a couple years ago and it was pretty tough for most. I've been told that not enough folks were passing it since then, so not to take anything away from anybody, but it's been said that they made the test simpler now.

I took an exam prep course from John Powell back when I was studying for the supervisors.

OregonSE

I took the test a couple years ago and it was pretty tough for most. I've been told that not enough folks were passing it since then, so not to take anything away from anybody, but it's been said that they made the test simpler now.

I took an exam prep course from John Powell back when I was studying for the supervisors.
After I bombed my first attempt before getting help I remember hearing back then the pass rate was 5%. Pretty discouraging but make me work even harder. The moment I learned I passed I'll never forget the relief.

solis

Thanks, Mr Powell had gone offline for a while, everyone I know who passed had took his course, thanks for sending the link.
To be continued

Glock23gp

Powell said in his class I just took that it's a 15% pass rate and closer to 30% with a prep class.

It was an excellent class.

That big said I missed the calc part by 2 questions so retaking it in 2 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Seems to be a lot of threads here on Oregon testing compared to other places, they must be tougher then most others as a general rule.

solis

Saw the link that was posted, sent a reply to see when the next class was, thanks to all who sent it and good luck to you, let us know how it goes
Scott

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Seems to be a lot of threads here on Oregon testing compared to other places, they must be tougher then most others as a general rule.

John Powell who wrote most, if not all, of the Oregon electrical license tests would tell us in his exam prep class that he wanted the Oregon Supervisors(masters) test the toughest in the nation. He only wanted the most knowledgeable well rounded electricians passing it. I think he was proud of the fact that folks who were able to obtain masters licenses in other states would come here for this test and struggle to pass it.

I can't complain, it just means the supervisors licenses some of us hold, may be worth some money to a company looking for a signing supervisor for their business.

OregonSE

Oregon Supervisors Exam

Good luck guys. I am glad to John Powell back. He is the best and his teaching methods are worth every cent. After you get it you appreciate the exam being so difficult. Again I remember thinking on my first attempt how smart I thought I was.:blink:

kwired

Electron manager
John Powell who wrote most, if not all, of the Oregon electrical license tests would tell us in his exam prep class that he wanted the Oregon Supervisors(masters) test the toughest in the nation. He only wanted the most knowledgeable well rounded electricians passing it. I think he was proud of the fact that folks who were able to obtain masters licenses in other states would come here for this test and struggle to pass it.

I can't complain, it just means the supervisors licenses some of us hold, may be worth some money to a company looking for a signing supervisor for their business.
I guess nothing wrong with that, but one can still have good installations if you have good inspectors.

There are people that can pass a test yet still do whatever they wish when they do installations, especially if no one is going to call them out on it.

There is also electricians out there that were either made better because of inspections or else eventually get out of the trade because they can't ever seem to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.