Our Last 100 threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

Sorry if my post made anybody mad. I was just tying to get a discussion going that would explain the drop-off, if it actually existed.

It seems a lot of folks drop in to visit but don't comment. And, more people comment it it's technical in nature.

As noted, it's vacation time and a lot of folks are away. Also, these are tough economic times..maybe people are working?

The numbers aren't that meaningful, as was noted, and it wasn't rocket science.

I too "drop in" a lot and don't comment...unless I feel strongly or have something to offer.

iMuse97

For years I visited this forum, was rarely a member, and almost never posted. Recently I've changed that. I have purchased a few MH products in the past, and will be getting many more in the future.

I've always valued the ability of the forum to maintain focus on electrical issues. I like some friendly back-and-forth but really need a forum that is focused and doesn't go off track, usually toward someplace vulgar, as I've seen on a forum of another trade, which shall remain unnamed.

This is the best all-round forum for electricians by far, bar none, and remains so because of the focused nature of the threads. You can actually get answers to questions you may have, and to questions you never thought to ask, even.

Thanks to all: those who post, the moderators, and the owner.

:Go MH! Rah Rah!!:cool:

cadpoint

no I'm not mad, just crazy!

no I'm not mad, just crazy!

ohm, are your numbers off, or even bias?

I realize what your saying and even of the concern of an audience to get a response from!

To pick one subject line and to grab these stat's/numbers out of it I frankly don't get it.
There has to be some throw out in the percentages, nothing fits into the exact catalogs. There has to be a margin of error in your own poll!

How many people are continual guests here who only sponge up the information to never be seen or comment on a product or service much less a code matter, that they fully know and could nail the OP to the wall but will never leave the guest quarters!
To me that's more of a peeve to me.

The ratio of Guests to active is anywhere from 1 to 3 to 1 to 5 on average.
(while even throwing out the Mod's as guests that still 1 to 2 or 1 to 4 on ratio average) this is a matter of non participation, well maybe yes maybe no.

This is more of worry to me about all the guests, than the people that will share their wisdom, it the ones that won't or don't that really bother me!:D

brian john

I think that the statistics noted are meaningless.

for example, there are many repetitious questions which have been known to be answerred by one response. school is out. work is slow. there are many reasons for fluctuations in the forum. I don't believe that reply rate is a very good indicator - jmshio ( I think with the information you have, there may well be a better pulse indicator, just don't think reply rate is it)

WARNING OFF TOPIC

Often someone post several options to resolve a problem 10 post later someone else post one of the several again, happens all the time. Often only 3 of 30 post add anything of ACTUAL SUBSTANCE to the OP question. But all post add to the overall question usually.

220/221

This thread is not electrical related please close it

Best....post.....ever

The problem with moderators is that they seem to apply the rules according to their feeling on the subject.

Another thread "off topic" would have been closed.

I don't think censorship has anything to do with the traffic here but I just wanted to chime in.

ohm

ohm, are your numbers off, or even bias?

I realize what your saying and even of the concern of an audience to get a response from!

To pick one subject line and to grab these stat's/numbers out of it I frankly don't get it.
There has to be some throw out in the percentages, nothing fits into the exact catalogs. There has to be a margin of error in your own poll!

How many people are continual guests here who only sponge up the information to never be seen or comment on a product or service much less a code matter, that they fully know and could nail the OP to the wall but will never leave the guest quarters!
To me that's more of a peeve to me.

The ratio of Guests to active is anywhere from 1 to 3 to 1 to 5 on average.
(while even throwing out the Mod's as guests that still 1 to 2 or 1 to 4 on ratio average) this is a matter of non participation, well maybe yes maybe no.

This is more of worry to me about all the guests, than the people that will share their wisdom, it the ones that won't or don't that really bother me!:D

Cadpoint, I don't believe the numbers are off and I tried not to bias them.

I don't even get why it drew such a response.

The subject was brought up in another discussion but it was off-topic so I thought I would introduce it as an OP.

I agree lots of folks raise a question, get good answers and don't even bother to say thanks. Some OP's provide little info, get folks working on their problem and never provide us with needed follow-up material for a proper solution.

It could be the viewers who don't participate are intimidated and don't want to be abused for asking a question they should know the answer to.

Really, the ratio of viewers to replies is not all that important and could have a perfectly legitimate explanation.

IMO the forum is one of the best and full participation provides full benefit.

JFletcher

I view a lot more than I post (100:1 ratio or more), because it's hard to learn while typing (mouth shut, eyes open thing).

Someone remarked lately that participation in the Forum seemed to be dropping off so I put the following together with the hope someone could help explain it.

The last 100 threads resulted in 58333 views but only 1859 replies The reply rate was 3.19%...

That's a pretty good ratio in a forum where guests cannot post. It's also pretty good compared to many of the other sites I see.

"It could be the viewers who don't participate are intimidated and don't want to be abused for asking a question they should know the answer to."

I've thought twice a few times because of that.

TOOL_5150

I like all the forums I belong to - they all have their own character and rules, some being more lax than others. This one is more like the class room, and the others are more like the playground. You wouldnt pee in your kitchen, and you wouldnt make dinner in the bathroom... they all have their own purpose.

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.