outlet above drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microwatt

Then how do you power a ceiling mounted projector if you can't have a receptacle above the acoustical ceiling?

Some projectors come with single gang cut outs in their bracket so you don't need additional support for your box. Or just mount it in the tile as Roger said.

raider1

Staff member
Typically, receptacles installed within the ceiling cavity of drop ceilings are generally for maintenance work so one can plug in a drop light or possibly a power tool, such as a sawzall/drill.

Thats just what they tell the inspector, and then when the inspector leaves they install the condensate pump, projector, or neon sign and run the cord up thought the ceiling and plug it into the receptacle.;):D

Chris

Volta

what about power supply cabinates (120v input 24v output) that are not temporary, dont require any interchange, and do not require removal for maintenance or repair, can these be cord and plug connected? I say no, others say yes

Those usually shouldn't be above a regular ceilng grid at all anyway, since 110.26(A)(1)(b) requires written consent from the AHJ for working space depths smaller than T110.26(A)(1), and one could still say that the width must be at least 30".

Not that anyone has ever been called on that, though. :cool:

Keri_WW

I know of a company that makes a small panel with a receptacle and catv outlet built in for an acoustical ceiling, which is a much cleaner install in my opinion. I can't seem to remember the company's name though. Anyone know of them or use a similar system?

iwire

Staff member
Those usually shouldn't be above a regular ceiling grid at all anyway, since 110.26(A)(1)(b) requires written consent from the AHJ for working space depths smaller than T110.26(A)(1), and one could still say that the width must be at least 30".

Not that anyone has ever been called on that, though. :cool:

Interesting, where do you put disconnect switches for HVAC equipment above ceiling grid? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.