Outlet/Electric baseboard heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonny1982

Can an outlet be installed above an electric baseboard heater (or heater installed below an electrical outlet) in a residential application? If not, where in code book?

Thanks

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Can an outlet be installed above an electric baseboard heater (or heater installed below an electrical outlet) in a residential application? If not, where in code book?

Thanks
As already stated.....but here are the references that mention that info..

1) 210.52-Informational Note
2) 424.9 - Informational Note
3) 550.13(F)(3)

while keeping in mind that "IN's" are not enforceable...they do establish in this case the manufacturer of that electrical equipments installation instructions (110.3(B)) of their product.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
No. See Article 210.52
A manufacturers baseboard receptacle could be added or floor receptacle to meet spacing requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen an electric baseboard heater that allowed the installation of a receptacle above the heater. The manufacturer makes these that install at either end of the heaters. Of course there needs to be 120v present .

contentonly.aspx

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
baseboard heater receptacle

baseboard heater receptacle

I have seen this issue raised many times with electric baseboard heaters. I cannot remember anyone ever asking if it is permissible to install a receptacle above a hot water system baseboard unit. I do not see the difference.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have never seen an electric baseboard heater that allowed the installation of a receptacle above the heater. The manufacturer makes these that install at either end of the heaters. Of course there needs to be 120v present .

contentonly.aspx

Would that receptacle meet the requirements of 210.52?
Or, better question, is the 210.52 receptacle required to be a duplex?

Status
Not open for further replies.