Outlet placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Okay, then I'll provide the ultimate solution: place the switches and receptacles under the upper cabinets.
nanana1.gif

Suppose they're cabinets that don't have a recessed area on the bottom? :rolleyes:

kwired

Electron manager
He said he chalk lines at the same height. If the floor's out-of-level then the chalk line's out-of-level.
If the floor was the reference for both ends of the chalk line. If not it might be level.

But then if you do have your line level and the cabinet installer is the DIY owner it still could look wrong.:whistle:

kwired

Electron manager
For higher end kitchen you are supposed to use wiremold or at least place outlets as high as you can under upper cabinets and usually in a horizontal orientation so that you don't end up with an outlet messing with any details of the backsplash. I have been lectured this by a tile guy before. I will admit if you do have some details in the backsplash it doesn't always look as good with something else stuck in there that could have been located elsewhere. If it is simple tile design or a mosaic type, it doesn't really matter that much though.

480sparky

Have the cabinet maker add a skirt kit.

Or mount them flush and add an inside bottom shelf above.

If I'm putting ANYTHING on the bottom of the cabinets, the HO is signing off on it first. I'm not just putting stuff there because I don't want to mess with the tile.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
If I ever build a new house for myself, I will place the boxes 3' off the floor. Will save my knees and back

I put mine at 20" for that reason. Only one person ever came in the house and said "why are the receptacles so high?".:unsure:

Also easier on legs at trim out time.(y)

Receptacle under every window for Christmas lights/candles. Yes, in my own house, and wired to A switch! It is wonderful. Obviously not for everyone due to cost...... Then there is the "no, that receptacle is on the Christmas circuit, use the one there....." issue.:D But, I did put that circuit on the generator, so most rooms can have one receptacle live when the power is out. Which happens frequently around here (long road, lots of trees, not so many customers to make it a priority).

Showed my daughter how to make and use a Story Pole in her house. All boxes of a particular use (kitchen, bath, switches, or laundry) are at the same level, well, within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.