Outlets Per Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

john p

Re: Outlets Per Breaker

So after all this, How many receptacles on a 20 amp circuit? I say 10. You can only load the 20 amp circuit to 16 amps 16 x 120 = 1920watts Div. by 180watts = 10.66666.. I love the way this thread changed and became so long

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

John, you can load a 20 amp circuit to 20 amps for 179 minutes at a time.

Roger

physis

I see this somewhat frequently. My assumption is a misunderstanding of 210.23(A)(1).

And of all the griping I do about CMP 2 and article 210, that section is (in my opinion) about the best written out of the entire article. Not that's saying much. :D

Edit: I had to add an obligatory disparaging remark.

[ May 11, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

hurk27

George

If you feed the fridge with a single 20 amp circuit and install a single raceptacle rated the same as the circuit, then all is well with 210.52(B)(1) exception 2. :D

Now install a duplex receptacle and you just changed the circuit to a SA circuit. And still all is well because 210.52(B)(1) allows it to feed the "receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment." There would still be no violation unless the rating of the circuit was 15 amps instead of 20. ;)

jimwalker

Why cant the frig be on a duplex ?When it becomes a duplex it no longer is a dedicted circuit,it becomes a SA.
And as long as it does not serve the counter then no gfci.Where is the problem ?

[ May 11, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

physis

Is that your new signature Scott?
laughing-smiley-014.gif

allenwayne

This whole article is screwy,table
210 B 3 says a 20 amp circuit can use a 15 or a 20 amp receptacle outlet but 210 20 B 1 says a single device has to match ampacity of the branch circuit :eek:

amptech

allenwayne said, " but 210 20 B 1 says a single device has to match ampacity of the branch circuit..."
Do you mean 210.21(B)(1)? If so, it doesnot say "single device", it says "single receptacle" That's the difference. I don't see anywhere the NEC uses the term "device" in relation to this topic that would lead someone to reason that "receptacle" referred to "per yoke". I think 210.21(B)(3) clearly allows a 15A duplex to be installed on a 20A circuit for the fridge. A duplex is clearly more than one receptacle.

allenwayne

it does say receptacle not device but the whole senario is screwed upYou can put a 15 amp duplex on a individual 20 amp circuit cause it is a duplex but a single 20 has to be on a 20 amp individual circuit because it has to match ampacities :roll:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hurk27:
Now install a duplex receptacle and you just changed the circuit to a SA circuit. And still all is well because 210.52(B)(1) allows it to feed the "receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment."
I say, pay attention, son. :)

Amptech wrote:
I think 210.21(B)(3) clearly allows a 15A duplex to be installed on a 20A circuit for the fridge.
You're right on that count. I hope the "210.23" issue is clear in most minds. But I contend this is a violation of 210.52(B)(2), despite being compliant with 210.23.

So who will take up the gauntlet of showing me to the crow? :D

[ May 11, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

physis

George,

I think I got lost in all the dust. What exactly is the question?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Where am I technically incorrect in my interpretation that installing a duplex receptacle behind a fridge is a violation of 210.52(B)(2)?

drg

NEC 2002
Article 210.52 (B)(1) Small Appliance.

......................shall serve all receptacle
outlets covered bt 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for REFRIGERATION equipment.

drg

Now with that same duplex receptacle can we plug in a freezer AND a refigerator ??

Yes, that would be allowed according to the article .

electricmanscott

George, if you install an individual 20 amp branch circuit for a fridge and you use a duplex receptacle I guess it now becomes a small appliance branch circuit. No problemo! The SA circuit is specifically permitted to serve refrigeration equipment in 210.52 B 1

[ May 12, 2005, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

Status
Not open for further replies.