Overhead Service Clearance Clarification Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
230.24 (B)(2) and 230.6 seem to contradict to me. Please show me where I am wrong. (B)(2) says you need 12 feet of clearance over residential property and 230.6 says the point of attachment can be as low as 10 feet. How can the conductors get to the 10 foot attachment point without passing over at least a tiny portion of the property at less than 12 feet??? (Unless the house is on the edge of a cliff).

Am I correct in stating that primarily you need to maintain 12 feet of clearance on the drop cable and that that will determine your point of attachment?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Look at 230.24(B)(1) {'08 Code}... there only a 10 ft clearance is required

pete m.

You may also want to look at 90.2(B)(5)(a).

If the POCO owns the service drop then its possible that the NEC is not applicable.

Pete

jetlag

230.24 (B)(2) and 230.6 seem to contradict to me. Please show me where I am wrong. (B)(2) says you need 12 feet of clearance over residential property and 230.6 says the point of attachment can be as low as 10 feet. How can the conductors get to the 10 foot attachment point without passing over at least a tiny portion of the property at less than 12 feet??? (Unless the house is on the edge of a cliff).

Am I correct in stating that primarily you need to maintain 12 feet of clearance on the drop cable and that that will determine your point of attachment?

Close to the house is considered pedestrian traffic only at 10 ft , they dont seem to say how quickly that must rise to 12 ft . Also who defines the parking and yard area, people can change that around :grin::grin:

Last edited:

russ

You may also want to look at 90.2(B)(5)(a).

If the POCO owns the service drop then its possible that the NEC is not applicable.

Pete

The drop is probably utility owned, but the attachment in my area is installed by the electrician / contractor, and 90.2(A) (3) "Installations of conductors and equipment that connect to the supply of electricity" are covered.

pete m.

The drop is probably utility owned, but the attachment in my area is installed by the electrician / contractor, and 90.2(A) (3) "Installations of conductors and equipment that connect to the supply of electricity" are covered.

It's the same in this area as well but the utility, if they choose to, could lay the service drop on the ground and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it short of complaining to the PUCO (Public Utility Commission of Ohio).

Pete

lakee911

Just ask the POCO where they want it and to what height the point of attachment should be. I always like to mount it as high as possible to get it out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.