Paid for drive time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you drive shop to shop in a company truck, you are on company time. I believe that if you drive shop to home you only have to pay till the end of the day at the job. I also believe that as long as he is driving your truck, then he is under your employee and you are libal for any accidents or other mishaps.

Here if I do an after hours inspection, I am required to come into the office and pick up my city truck.

You work for a city that allows after hours work and are an inspector? Understandable for a utilities services employee, or snow and ice removal or something like that. With tight budgets no city ever wants to pay any overtime unless absolutely necessary.

satcom

If you drive shop to shop in a company truck, you are on company time. I believe that if you drive shop to home you only have to pay till the end of the day at the job. I also believe that as long as he is driving your truck, then he is under your employee and you are libal for any accidents or other mishaps.

Here if I do an after hours inspection, I am required to come into the office and pick up my city truck.

There is more to this issue then should he pay or not, in some states the insurance coverage on the truck is tied to the comp insurance and the employee must be on the clock anytime he is in the truck.

Another issue is that if the break is paid or unpaid time? In Pa. I worked for a respected fortune 500 company and we got a paid for 20 min. break per 8 hrs. (7-3:00) I also worked for a union company and we received a 45 min break per 8 hrs but we were only paid for the 15 min. morning break not our 1/2 hour "lunch" break which added a half hour to our shift 7-3:30. I am sure if we raised hell at the first company I spoke of we would have received another 10 mins. added to our break totaling a half hour normal lunch. I am also sure it would have become an unpaid "lunch break" adding a half hour to our shift. Losing a paid 20 mins. to sit on my but for another 10 mins. and adding a half hour to my shift did not make much sense to me. But both are legal by pa law.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There is more to this issue then should he pay or not, in some states the insurance coverage on the truck is tied to the comp insurance and the employee must be on the clock anytime he is in the truck.

I'm pretty sure that is true, but since I wasn't sure of the particulars, I didn't want to speak out of turn. I worked for one company that paid us 1/2 time for travel time.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You work for a city that allows after hours work and are an inspector? Understandable for a utilities services employee, or snow and ice removal or something like that. With tight budgets no city ever wants to pay any overtime unless absolutely necessary.

Oh we don't pay the over time, the contractor does. If an off hours inspection is required, the contractor must come in an pay for a minimum of 2 hours, request it 24 hours in advance, and it's voluntary for the inspectors. (Not necessarly in that order of course)

CasperJack

Paid Drive Time

Paid Drive Time

I'm speaking from past experience. I suggest you refer to the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act it clearly defines when and when you are not paid for your drive time. The law applies irregardless of whether there is or is not a company policy. Company policy must meet the minimum requirements of the law.

Integrator

Travel

Travel

In My Apprinticeship years I never recieved travel to or from jobs .
In My vehicle or the companys .My Boss Felt if you wanted to learn it is your responsibility to do it . Not his .
And when I applied to the local union shop they said it was my responsibility to provide travel up to 100 mile s from union shop . I was not to happy to hear this so i declined to work for the union .
Never agreeing with the policies of my employeers , I decided to pay travel only when at job or in company vehicles ,providing company vehicles & gas to Experienced & Seasoned Veterans of the company when I started my business .
This was good but never seemed to make employees happy . So i reverted back to Pay started when you arrived at project , you were required to show up 10 minuites early , provide own transportation , Tools , lunch, Strict adhearence to rules .
projects ran smoother , attidude never got better or worse .
But Respect went up , Because the percs were apreciated more when given as they new what it cost to provide thier own way .
You must Appreciate ,Extras , percs , Vehicles,lunches
The Cost is a lot higher when you provide your own way .
Attitude is everything in a job. Respect is Second to none .
Travel , Expenses Are a perc s (or) reward for good Performance not a demand
When you Demand , The Attitude is expectation not Thankfulness
The Natural Tendancy of an Employee is to do what is in his best interest .
Policy abuse is a natural tendancy .
Thanks
Mike & all who make the Industry a Better more Professional Place

I don't know how it is in VA, but here in TX drive time is paid per labor law.

from http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/h_travel_time.html

Time spent traveling between worksites during a workday is compensable under 29 C.F.R. 785.38. For example, if a worker reports to the main office to start the day and is then told to report to another job site, all time spent traveling to that worksite and back again to the main office will be paid. Some workers normally report to a number of jobsites each day as part of their duties; all such time is compensable. If the worker does not have to report back to the main office after finishing at the last jobsite, but instead returns directly home, the time spent returning home is not compensable.

tryinghard

I'm speaking from past experience. I suggest you refer to the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act it clearly defines when and when you are not paid for your drive time. The law applies irregardless of whether there is or is not a company policy. Company policy must meet the minimum requirements of the law.
True one cannot out-write the labor laws; employers are responsible for state labor law adherence.

Transportation Guy

travel Time

travel Time

I was the license holder for a jack leg contracting firm in Glen Allen Va and they paid their employees when they arrived on the job. Ex... arrive at shop at 7a and job in Richmond at 8:30a. They would fill the trucks up, load the trucks and then drive the company truck to the job. They dont start the time until they arrive on site. (work for 1.5 hours free!) This is against the law and i have advised numerous employees to contact the Va labor board and file the claim form. The employer will have to back pay this time to all employees. If a person is driving a company truck to and from the job, he should be paid both ways. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.