Panel main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I have a 50 amp feed of a panel (fed from a breaker) going to a new garage. Does the sub panel need to have a main breaker? Where do I find that in the code?

raider1

Staff member
I agree with 480sparky,

The feeder to the garage must have a disconnecting means installed at the garage in accordance with 225.31 and located in accordance with 225.32.

225.33 gives you the allowance for up to 6 circuit breakers to constitute as the disconnecting means.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Although I agree with the previous two posts, neither of them specifically answers the specific question. ;)

The answer is "no, the sub panel does not need to have a main breaker." You can put an unfused disconnect switch outside the garage, and have as large a panel as you want inside the garage, and not use a main breaker in that panel. That said, the simplest way to satisfy the requirement for a disconnecting means is to put a main breaker in the garage sub panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
yes, it's more than two circuits. If less than two then no
It is a single circuit, but that circuit is a feeder and the second building always requires a grounding electrode system when it is served by a feeder. A single branch circuit, two wire or multiwire, does not require a grounding electrode system.

Status
Not open for further replies.