Panel on stairway landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Even if it's not a step, I would still say that it infringes on your 3'. And just for clarification, a stair is a stair and a landing is a landing and there are definitions for both. When in doubt always look at the definitions and not necessarily the ones in the code book, the dictionary can be used and I believe that the one to use is talked about in the building code.
Fine and dandy, fortunately around here electrical code (NEC) is about the only code that is truly enforced by anyone. The larger towns have building inspectors and codes - I don't work in those towns. In the smaller towns and rural areas, the State Fire Marshal does enforce some rules regarding fire spread, egress, and ADA in public access buildings but about all that they ever involve the electrician about is egress lighting and exit signs.

My point is NEC is about the only code I ever have to comply with.

mwm1752

NEC could possibly use a little tweaking of the use of the word stairs here for those that want to look past intent and take things literally as written.

If you had a "stairway" at least 36 inches wide with 30 inch deep treads on the steps and the panel in question is flush mounted in the wall, I don't think you have a violation as each step is also a "platform" that gives you the workspace requirement, just like the landing or even an entire floor of a building is nothing but a large stair tread in perspective to the stairway.

I believe we agree a platform should include width & depth of required clearances in 110.26 & there are more ADA requirements EC's follow - Reach range limits for devices, Kitchen countertop recept locations, & with the most current ANSI regs (if adopted by your juristiction) overcurrent protection to name a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.