Panel on stairway landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

The NEC does not allow an electrical panel on a stairway, but what about a stairway landing, if the clearance requirements are meet? Again code references would be appreciated! Thanks,

iwire

Staff member
The NEC does not allow an electrical panel on a stairway, but what about a stairway landing, if the clearance requirements are meet? Again code references would be appreciated! Thanks,

Here is the actual requirement

240.24(F) Not Located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not
be located over steps of a stairway.

Seems like landings would be OK assuming you have the required work space.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For the most part, the NEC is a permissive Code. If it does not state it's a violation then it is allowed. As you mentioned 240.24(F) only prohibits the OCP over stairs, not landings. barring any other problems, you should be good to go.

(sorry, Bob, posted on top of you)

victor.cherkashi

recently we had 100A circuit breaker installed in staircase. contactor advised us that inspector told him that c.b. should be in 2 hours rated enclosure. now I have doubts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
recently we had 100A circuit breaker installed in staircase. contactor advised us that inspector told him that c.b. should be in 2 hours rated enclosure. now I have doubts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In commercial, institutional, or other public access buildings may be a violation of the finish rating of an egress route depending on other circumstances. Stairways are sometimes easy places to run lines between floors, but also need to be protected egress routes in some cases.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
George I took the liberty to post the pic as it is a interesting question. When does a step become a step-- hold long/wide/etc. View this larger with your browser to see details better. BTW, I can see Ryans response but without knowing the depth of the (step) I may challenge 110.26 but I suspect it is 36" or greater

ry%3D400

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Ryan Jackson believes this installation violates 240.24(F). I disagree.
I agree, he's wrong.

George I took the liberty to post the pic as it is a interesting question. When does a step become a step-- hold long/wide/etc.
(F) Not Located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not
be located over steps of a stairway
There is no problem to solve until there are "steps". As long as the platform, in this case or landing in the OP, meets workspace requirements your good.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree, he's wrong.

There is no problem to solve until there are "steps". As long as the platform, in this case or landing in the OP, meets workspace requirements your good.

I agree even if there were 2 steps and a landing and the landing meets 110.26 I see it as compliant. Now would an inspector see it as a top step.

When in doubt, a phone call to the local inspector would clear this up to get his interpretation. I haven't met an inspector yet who would shun any question you'd have prior to performing your duties. After all, it's his little pond you're swimming in.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC could possibly use a little tweaking of the use of the word stairs here for those that want to look past intent and take things literally as written.

If you had a "stairway" at least 36 inches wide with 30 inch deep treads on the steps and the panel in question is flush mounted in the wall, I don't think you have a violation as each step is also a "platform" that gives you the workspace requirement, just like the landing or even an entire floor of a building is nothing but a large stair tread in perspective to the stairway.

mwm1752

George I took the liberty to post the pic as it is a interesting question. When does a step become a step-- hold long/wide/etc. View this larger with your browser to see details better. BTW, I can see Ryans response but without knowing the depth of the (step) I may challenge 110.26 but I suspect it is 36" or greater

ry%3D400

I cannot be sure but if those psot are 6x6 then the depth from the building out is maybe 20" -- the depth measured is infront of the panel which if my assumptions are somewhat correct is about 12" for the walkway disconnects. IMHO that is a step not a landing.
The far left disconnect working space appears compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I cannot be sure but if those psot are 6x6 then the depth from the building out is maybe 20" -- the depth measured is infront of the panel which if my assumptions are somewhat correct is about 12" for the walkway disconnects. IMHO that is a step not a landing.
The far left disconnect working space appears compliant.

I agree it looks short but pictures can be deceiving. Again when is a step not a step. If the distance was 6' out to the edge of the "step" you would have no question of it being a platform. So at what distance does it become a step. I have to disagree with it being a step

Status
Not open for further replies.