Panel Wiring by Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
is there NEC rule for putting red on left or right side of a service panel? i ask because in the Eaton instructions i have page 1 shows red on right side, then on subsequent pages they show red on left. single phase 240v so it doesnt really matter in my case, but just wondering if NEC has a say so?

iwire

Staff member
is there NEC rule for putting red on left or right side of a service panel? i ask because in the Eaton instructions i have page 1 shows red on right side, then on subsequent pages they show red on left. single phase 240v so it doesnt really matter in my case, but just wondering if NEC has a say so?

Very few color rules for general wiring in the NEC beyond greens, bares, and whites.

So red, blue, black is just as acceptable as black, red, blue.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Are you asking about the incoming service or feeder wiring coming into the main breaker?
Eaton shows the red coming in on the left of the main but it feeds the right side buss and vise versa for the right side of the main feeds the left buss.
That has caused us some trouble on UPS wiring in the external bypass switch when it is a make before break.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Are you asking about the incoming service or feeder wiring coming into the main breaker?
Eaton shows the red coming in on the left of the main but it feeds the right side buss and vise versa for the right side of the main feeds the left buss.
That has caused us some trouble on UPS wiring in the external bypass switch when it is a make before break.

nah, its a CH50SPA breaker box. the diagrams shown on the instructions swap positions just a page later. probably an issue of translation, everything these days is outsourced overseas.... or nobody proofed the 2008 pamphlet 100%, etc.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
If its a delta high leg then you will need orange on the B phase. B phase must be the high leg also. Other than that you can use any color besides white, grey, green, green yellow, and bare for a phase and it may be at any position at a panel.

iwire

Staff member
If its a delta high leg then you will need orange on the B phase. B phase must be the high leg also.

Even that is up for debate

110.15 High-Leg Marking. On a 4-wire, delta-connected
system where the midpoint of one phase winding is
grounded, only the conductor or busbar having the higher
phase voltage to ground shall be durably and permanently
marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or by other
effective means
. Such identification shall be placed at each
point on the system where a connection is made if the
grounded conductor is also present

It is my understanding that the exception below exists as some power companies require high leg on C at the meters.

408.3(E) Phase Arrangement. The phase arrangement on 3-phase
buses shall be A, B, C from front to back, top to bottom, or left
to right, as viewed from the front of the switchboard or panelboard.
The B phase shall be that phase having the higher
voltage to ground on 3-phase, 4-wire, delta-connected systems.
Other busbar arrangements shall be permitted for additions
to existing installations and shall be marked.

Exception: Equipment within the same single section or multisection
switchboard or panelboard as the meter on 3-phase,
4-wire, delta-connected systems shall be permitted to have the
same phase configuration as the metering equipment

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I was always told right or left, red- blue- black, didn't mater as long as all panels are the same.

does NEC say this? should this also be rule in a service panel where the buses are vertical and every 240v breaker has red on one bus and black on the other? seems cumbersome to have to follow this as a rule, no safety issue that i can see not having it uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.