Panel's in Bathrooms

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
Hello forums,

See the attached floor plan by the architect. This is for an existing house converted into a multifamily-style house. The electrical panel shown in this plan already exists, and the area where it sits used to be a bedroom. They are making this into a bathroom, and they think that this is code-compliant because they are separating the toilet and shower from the sink.

Per the definition of Bathroom in the NEC, I think they are correct, but I wanted to consult the community because this seems like a gray area to me. The NEC defines a bathroom as : An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures. So, does the inclusion, in your opinion, of a wall separating the sink from the rest of the bathroom make this compliant?

Bathroom Panel.png

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree.

But I must ask what the architect meant by calling for clearance of 2(6) 3(0) --- I can't type superscripts, so I used parentheses.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree.

But I must ask what the architect meant by calling for clearance of 2(6) 3(0) --- I can't type superscripts, so I used parentheses.
He was probably saying 30" wide by 36" deep.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And "LH" if he's standing with his back to the sink on the hinge side of the door and wants the panel door to open to the outside wall. :)

JAP>

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If these are Bedroom "Suites" I don't think much of the architect. The closet space shown is TINY!

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So a panel can be next to a laundry sink it's very common in a basement. This may actually fly but prepare for an argument with the AHJ. I personally think it's lame but it is existing. The downside is if someone removes the pocket door and adds another wall to separate the sink boom you have a panel in the bathroom.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So a panel can be next to a laundry sink it's very common in a basement. This may actually fly but prepare for an argument with the AHJ. I personally think it's lame but it is existing. The downside is if someone removes the pocket door and adds another wall to separate the sink boom you have a panel in the bathroom.
Why an argument? The Article 100 definition is a bathroom is perfectly clear. The room with the tub and toilet is the bathroom. The area with only the sink is not.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can see an inspector questioning as the definition says "an area" and the basin could be in the bath area, in fact, for it to be a bath the basin would have to be present.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can see an inspector questioning as the definition says "an area" and the basin could be in the bath area, in fact, for it to be a bath the basin would have to be present.
A bathroom by definition does not require a sink if it has a toilet and a shower. The room with the door is the bathroom. The sink is outside of the bathroom.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar
plumbing fixtures.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar
plumbing fixtures.
You're correct my apologies. I should have looked it up first before responding. So the room with the shower and toilet is not a bathroom and neither is the sink area.

MasonF

Occupation
Master Electrician
I find the use of bathroom instead of restroom and vice versa confusing sometimes. According to the code definition a sink and a urinal could be defined as a bathroom but i sure wouldnt want to take a bath in either.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Better not advertise it as a 2 bath house.
Why not?

Keep in mind that we all speak at least two languages.

One I call "conversational English," and that is the only language the seller and the buyer are likely to use. In that language, this house does have two bathrooms.

The other is the language of our profession. It is only there that the code definitions come into play. If I am designing or inspecting this house, it has no bathrooms. If I am considering buying it, then there are two.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
After Augie corrected my error he got me thinking. What if the area with the sink and the shower and toilet were all tiled with the same floor and wall tile. Would that make it a bathroom "area" because it would be different than the finishes in the bedroom?