Parallel Cables grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
I have 2-cables each having (3)500mcm with 3 #2 bare ground. Each cable is in a separate conduit underground. I have terminated the phase conductors no issue. The grounding conductors have been twisted together and landed on a double barrel ground lug. Is there a code violation on this termination?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have 2-cables each having (3)500mcm with 3 #2 bare ground. Each cable is in a separate conduit underground. I have terminated the phase conductors no issue. The grounding conductors have been twisted together and landed on a double barrel ground lug. Is there a code violation on this termination?
Probably a violation. I doubt the lug is listed for 3 conductors in a single hole.

When you run parallel conductors, each of the EGCs has to be sized per the rating of the OCPD for the circuit. #2 seems kind of small to me for whatever rating of OCPD (3) 500 MCM would have.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The size of a EGC in parallel cables has been a frequent issue. Conductors in parallel require a full size egc in each raceway or cable. The reason is that in a ground fault, the fault can be fed from each end of the circuit.

Last edited:

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
Probably a violation. I doubt the lug is listed for 3 conductors in a single hole.

When you run parallel conductors, each of the EGCs has to be sized per the rating of the OCPD for the circuit. #2 seems kind of small to me for whatever rating of OCPD (3) 500 MCM would have.
Parallel cables with 3 #2 grounds. I am reaching out to manufacturer because instructions are contradicting code Either way I need to know the right way because I might have a lot of terms out there that aren’t up to code

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For your reference, code section 250.122 is where you size the EGC, based on your OCPD of 400 amps.
500 is oversized for an OCPD of 400 amps, typically 3/0 would be used with an EGC of 3 AWG. Perhaps 500 was used for Volt drop. If the circuit conductors are oversized the EGC is to be increased in proportion. See note to table 250.122

Last edited:

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
For your reference, code section 250.122 is where you size the EGC, based on your OCPD of 400 amps.
500 is oversized for an OCPD of 400 amps, typically 3/0 would be used with an EGC of 3 AWG. Perhaps 500 was used for Volt drop. If the circuit conductors are oversized the EGC is to be increased in proportion. See note to table 250.122
Just out of curiosity…. Would a manufacturer ever make a cable that does give max protection on for max ampacity of conductors or how do they determine what size ground per phase they make. Seems to me that a lot of issues could be solved at manufactures level

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't put my finger on it in the Code but I thought it addressed multiconductor cables with multiple EGCs allowing the area of multiple smaller conductors to be combined. His cables have 3-#2 EGC which would have a combined area greater than the required 3/0.
Am I mistaken ??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't put my finger on it in the Code but I thought it addressed multiconductor cables with multiple EGCs allowing the area of multiple smaller conductors to be combined. His cables have 3-#2 EGC which would have a combined area greater than the required 3/0.
Am I mistaken ??
You are correct. See the last sentence in 250.122(A).

I would be very surprised if the cable having 500 kcmil copper conductors has three 2 AWG EGCs. That would not be the common construction for that cable. The standard EGC for that cable is a single 2 AWG conductor. If it has three it was a custom manufactured cable.
More likely is that is has three conductors when combined result in a 2 AWG EGC.

kenaslan

A 3 grounded cable is usually for a VFD. Probably 3 #6 as that is the most common. Terminate the three grounds in an Ilsco multi lug. 3 #6 in 1 #2 out. as mentioned, twisting together is a code violation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.