fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
iwire said:
fbhwt

Let me ask you something.

When you install a surface mounted ceiling fixture on a metal box do you,

Ground the box and the the light fixture?

or

Do you just ground the light fixture and rely on just the fixture mounting screws to ground the box?

Now which are people more likely to come into contact with, a recessed metal ceiling box or a site pole?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do it right and connect the EGC directly to the lighting pole at the ground lug in the hand hole as required and continue it to the light fixtures green wire.

By the way 250.148(B) requires that the grounding be maintained even with the removal of a device or luminaire and 250.148.(C) requires it done with a means that serves no other purpose.
Good point, is this box connected to conduit or NM? If conduit I would bond fixture to the box,if there is a EGC I would attach bonding pigtail to box, EGC to pigtail, bond wire from fixture to pigtail, if NM I would wrap EGC around ground screw and then to fixture or install bond pigtail in box and attach all EGC's
I should have been more explicit as far as the pole, EGC to GEC pigtail,EGC to green wire at fixture

Mike01

Personally

Personally

Personally I would like to see the fixture grounded to the box and not count on the screws to do the job, I have seen some pretty bad installations where over time the fixture screws do not even support the fixture very well so if that's the case how can they provide a good path?

JohnConnolly

To ME, logic dictates grounding the pole with the grounding conductor AND grounding the fixture with it as well.

Also to me, it defies logic to install a ground rod when you have 6 feet of concrete and steel already in the ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
JohnConnolly said:
To ME, logic dictates grounding the pole with the grounding conductor AND grounding the fixture with it as well.

Also to me, it defies logic to install a ground rod when you have 6 feet of concrete and steel already in the ground.

I agree, the use of the mounting bolt on the fixture shouldn't be the only connect of the EGC to the pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.