patch a double sheetrock ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerj

Also note the Exception.

That is where you got tricked because that box is likely not tested in that ceiling assembly.

Good luck and I hope your fire marshall isn't the same one from Opelousas, LA :roll:

Ravenvalor

Sheetmetal medallion

Sheetmetal medallion

Hi Folks,

I called T&B about the 30809 and it looks like it would not work due to its proximity to another box (minimum 6'). I was wondering if I can cut a piece of thick sheetmetal and put it over the hole.

Thank you for the good replies.

Jim

Ravenvalor

What about a 1 hour ceiling

What about a 1 hour ceiling

Keep in mind a 2-hr rated wall must have overlapping seams.

I have just learned that the ceiling is not 2 but 1 - hour rated. Do I still have to overlap them? I actually need a 1 - hour plug that I can remove. I wonder if I can put a puddy pad on the back of a pop in gangable metal box.

Thank you,

Jim

Ravenvalor

rated box.

rated box.

Why not put in a rated box with a blank cover? you are going to cover it anyway.

Do you know of a 1 - hour rated box that will pop into a ceiling? Another issue is that there are 55 - of these I will have to make and one sheetrock installer is saying that there will be too many plugs in a rated ceiling.

Thanks,

Lavenburg

It really sounds like the Fire inspector is pushing your buttons for some reason. How about installing a metel barrier between the two layers. Like previously stated before, on the interior side layer make it a couple of inches bigger and line it with a thin layer of sheet metal. Then apply the second layer of drywall. That should do it for you.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
CES use to sell fire caulk in flat patch form, seems like about 6" by 6". They quit selling it and I haven't seen in anywhere else. Seems like that would be excellent for a good fireproof patch. Overlay a few of them side by side over seams and place another piece of drywall on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.