Pendant strain relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I have a 4square mounted to the ceiling, want to do a pendant for a #10/3 SO cord. Am I allowed to knock out the 1/2 inch hole to 3/4 on the cover ?

synchro

Occupation
EE
You might be better off starting with a blank cover and drilling a hole just large enough to clear the bolt of a 3/4 knockout punch. Otherwise it may be a struggle to keep the punch properly centered in a 1/2 hole if the bolt of your punch is significantly smaller. I think it can also produce a better result.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You might be better off starting with a blank cover and drilling a hole just large enough to clear the bolt of a 3/4 knockout punch. Otherwise it may be a struggle to keep the punch properly centered in a 1/2 hole if the bolt of your punch is significantly smaller. I think it can also produce a better result.
The K.O. set I have has a draw bolt that will stay centered in a 1/2" K.O. (7/8") hole.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In fact Greenlee hydraulic punch sets come exactly that way, 1/2" KO punch is 3/8 draw screw and all the other sizes use a draw screw that centers close enough in that 1/2" KO hole.
Right. That's so you only have to drill a hole for the 3/8 screw, and use the 1/2" K.O. if you're going larger.

MTW

I normally skip that process on that job, and use a blank plate and a holecutter. No layout or cross-hairs and punch centering required.
I also use bus drop cable, Kellems grip, and a sky-ty hanger for a stress relief.

d347a5_7ebdceaf110d499f9b855b243663f8cd~mv2.webp

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Thanks for posting. Nice looking work.

Must be nice not having to bid against Home Cheepo shoppers.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
For something no larger than 3/4", I would just use a step bit to enlarge the hole. You could bolt the cover down on a couple of scraps of 2x4 to hold it, then drill the hole. Saves having to do all that up at the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.