Perfect example of a bad day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

We started our day with a safety meeting about heat stroke. After the safety meeting we had to do an emergency installation of 5 sewer mixers. All day in the sun, 88 degrees, no lunch, no break, at least we had water available. It would cause a DEHEC violation if they weren't installed today.

OK, I got through it without heatstroke. I was looking forward to getting home, kicking back in the AC and enjoying a good cold beer.

When I got home my AC was buzzing, the fan wasn't running on the outside unit........94 inside my house. I checked out the heat pump and the bearings were shot on the fan! Called the local supplier, they had to order it, be in tomorrow.

I had a 120 volt almost new window AC in my storage building for 4 years, I gave it away Saturday....If I hadn't gave it away I could have at least cooled my bedroom tonight!

I haven't had any rain in a month, It is cooler outside, so I went out to water my tomatoes. I was standing there drinking a cool brew watering away and felt a burning sensation on my feet and ankles. I had fire ants all over me!!!!!!!!

Bad Day............But I will survive! ;)

ItsHot

fire ants

fire ants

You know how to get rid of the fire ants??? Redman chewin' tabacco! Yep...sprinkle it all over the mound, when the queen comes up to spit, you stomp and kill her! "Kill the queen, you kill the mound"!!:grin: :D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
When it rains it pours and it's not even raining. :grin:

Not quite as bad, but same thing with the AC, hit 100 here and I hadn't had it on in 8 months, go to turn it on and just hear a loud hum, look out and fan is stuck, check out the unit and it has no freon so it over heated the condensor and of course it's a Saturday so I have to wait a week for someone to show up.

hockeyoligist2

c2500 said:
I was outside earlier, and that would explain the scream I heard coming from the direction of Simpsonville.:D

c2500

Was I that loud? I did scream some words that would be deleted on this site!

Wait till about 8, when my girlfriend gets home, she will scream louder!

iaov

Its going to be in the 30's here again tonight. I don't even remember where I put the air conditioner away at last year.I'm whining not bragging guys.:)

brian john

On Sunday I noticed my upstairs AC unit was not working, Mother-in-law from England was coming Monday. So I called my friend, who I have recommended to customers for HVAC work. One of his longest biggest customers is a referral from me. Plus if he has any electrical issues I/we jump to assist. He tells me Monday to call his office and get in line. Called another buddy he fixed it before the plane landed.

SmithBuilt

I had the exact same thing happen last week.

I disconnected the fan motor and laid my shop fan on top of the unit blowing up, turned it on and left it running all night long.

Of course you have to reset the A/C unit. Some you can just cut the power off to the AHU for a moment and back on. Mine a Rheem I had to short a couple of pins on the circuit board to reset (directions on the board).

Never missed a beat, cool all night long.

brian john said:
On Sunday I noticed my upstairs AC unit was not working, Mother-in-law from England was coming Monday. So I called my fiend, who I have recommended to customers for HVAC work. One of his longest biggest customers is a referral from me. Plus if he has any electrical issues I/we jump to assist. He tells me Monday to call his office and get in line. Called another buddy he fixed it before the plane landed.

You find out real quick sometimes who your friend is, and who is a FIEND. Simply drop the 'r' ...I r not your friend.

It is a good thing that you do actually have friends/buddy though.

ceb58

I was standing there drinking a cool brew watering away and felt a burning sensation on my feet and ankles. I had fire ants all over me!!!!!!!!

As soon as you can wipe the bites down GOOD with Clorox takes the sting away and they wont puss up.

mivey

ceb58 said:
As soon as you can wipe the bites down GOOD with Clorox takes the sting away and they wont puss up.
wimps. you get used to them after a while and it only itches for a little bit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mivey said:
wimps. you get used to them after a while and it only itches for a little bit.
I say the same thing about working with fiberglass insulation. I install it bare-handed and in short sleeves. Everyone else seems to want Tyvek suits and breathing apparatus.

Wimps! :rolleyes:

mivey

LarryFine said:
I say the same thing about working with fiberglass insulation. I install it bare-handed and in short sleeves. Everyone else seems to want Tyvek suits and breathing apparatus.

That's what a good hot shower is for. I have resigned myself to wearing a mask as I seem to be getting more susceptible to dust in my old age.

hockeyoligist2

DanZ said:
Wow. I hope your having a better day now! If it makes you feel any better, I have an apicoectomy at 2 today.

I wish the best for you!

My day has been better, Thanks.

Had a little trouble with the new motor for the AC. It had 4 wires and the old one had 3. I finally figured it out.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
LarryFine said:

Good trick I use for fiberglass insulation:
Wad up some duck tape (sticky side out) and pat down your exposed skin with it. Removes the little fibers before you take a shower.

Here's my tale of woe:
I took a trip last weekend so I was out of town for Father's day. My host felt sorry for me and gave me a bottle of wine. Rather than have to "donate" it to the TSA folks at the airport I checked my bag, something I am loathe to do any more. When I picked up my bag in San Francisco, all of the exterior zippered pockets were open and, lo and behold, my car keys were gone! I have a new Dodge Charger which no longer uses a "key"; it has an electronic fob that fits in a square hole in the dash. That also makes it impossible to call a locksmith if you lose it or get it wet. That was my backup key because the other one got wet at a summer party the previous week when the teenagers threw me in the pool. So no key, no backup key, no way to start the car and get it out of the pay parking lot. Took me 3 hours to get home on the last BART train, then $25 for a 5 minute taxi ride. The next day I had to go back to the SF airport in my truck and have the car towed to a dealer to have keys made because they have to program the car for the new keys. $481.00 for 2 new keys, $100 worth of gas, $15 for an extra day of parking, $25 for a taxi, $8 for a BART ticket. All in all, that was a $629.00 bottle of fricken wine!

Now here it is Thursday and I still have no car because Dodge is "out of the remotes". Driving my truck instead, wasting another $100 in gas on personal errands.

Status
Not open for further replies.