Piggyback Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Was told piggyback breakers are out????????????

I don't know if that's what you were told or not. Perhaps if you included a bit more information instead of asking with a fragmented question.

Mandatory res. manual transfer switch???????????

Questions like this don't convey much information, especially towards what you're wanting to know.

never used em before and asked an older elec.

Perhaps if you just ask the person who tells you this type of stuff where, exactly, their information comes from.

480sparky

Just a thought.... maybe this 'older elec' means you can't just slap a piggyback in if the circuit needs to be AFCI protected. AFAIK, no one makes a piggyback AFCI breaker.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I don't know if that's what you were told or not. Perhaps if you included a bit more information instead of asking with a fragmented question.

Questions like this don't convey much information, especially towards what you're wanting to know.

Perhaps if you just ask the person who tells you this type of stuff where, exactly, their information comes from.

Some of us are not the best at posting. He is also new to this forum so be gentle.

480sparky

What's a piggy back breaker?

AKA half-size, half-inch, tandem or wafer breakers.

challenger.jpg

OldSqareDtandem.jpg

IMG_0705m.jpg

qob.jpg

Zinsco.jpg

Strife

He he, thank you. But "tandem" or "half size" would have sufficed. I'm a little "new fashioned" I still don't want to know what a "troffer" is:) I do now, but it still takes a couple seconds to realize it's a gutter, or wireway.

AKA half-size, half-inch, tandem or wafer breakers.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some of the guys at the supply counters like to make blanket statements like "installing tandem (piggy-backed) circuit breakers are a code violation". By the same token some of us are naive enough to take this as Gospel truth.

In reality, the statement is partly true and partly false. If you have an older breaker panel that is approved for tandems and accepts tandems then you can add add'l circuits. However, that doesn't mean you can convert a 40 circuit panel into an 80 circuit panel. You can usually find the information on the panel cover door as to whether you can use the tandem or not and where in the panel they can be installed.

On the other hand, if you have a newer panel in a new residential installation where arc fault breakers are installed, you will not be able to use tandems if you have to remove an arc fault breaker in order to add the circuit, irrespective of whether the panel accepts tandems or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.