Plaster rings installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
:grin:

Seriously more than that, much more than that ..... but I really need to be careful how much I giveaway about the company's methods.

What's the secret. Many large companies will do takeoffs on a project like an apartment building or hotel. Many of the units are the same. So they pre-fab all the outlet and switch boxes with whips to the next. There is some wire waste but when you compare a minimum wage earner in the shop to a Journeyman the savings are real!

As to the code section cited that only pertains to an extenstion of a box by way of a Ko in the cover. I'm sure there may be a similar one in code though

iwire

Staff member
What's the secret.

If I told you than it would not be a secret.

Many large companies will do takeoffs on a project like an apartment building or hotel. Many of the units are the same. So they pre-fab all the outlet and switch boxes with whips to the next. There is some wire waste but when you compare a minimum wage earner in the shop to a Journeyman the savings are real!

Truth is many companies do a lot of things, I am still not going make posts that might help our competition.:)

electricmanscott

OK, but why would anyone ever install it where it would fall off if the screws were not tight?

Why would you not tighten the screws? ;)

Seems if there is an issue with loose screws than just about everything we install should have some sort of back up just in case.

Up, down, left, right, it does not matter as long as you install it properly.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As well you shouldn't.

If I told you than it would not be a secret.

Truth is many companies do a lot of things, I am still not going make posts that might help our competition.:)
So don't
What I have said is not going to hurt my company what so ever.

Is this give sparky a hard time week!:grin:
We talk many a topics that aid in the helping of competition here at MH.
If we wanted to be purely competitive we would not give any helping answers to anyone but those we like. :cool:

480sparky

You install plaster rings on the box in the shop? ............ Really?

Seriously, really?

:grin:

Seriously more than that, much more than that ..... but I really need to be careful how much I giveaway about the company's methods.

Prefab is very common, especially in larger ECs. In fact, once you reach a certain size, it's almost a requirement.

I'm a one-man shop, and even I do prefab.

iwire

Staff member
If the manufacturers logo is right side up, then the plaster ring is right side up! The slots should be facing DOWN.

wallbash.gif

kwired

Electron manager
So don't
What I have said is not going to hurt my company what so ever.

Is this give sparky a hard time week!:grin:
We talk many a topics that aid in the helping of competition here at MH.
If we wanted to be purely competitive we would not give any helping answers to anyone but those we like. :cool:

I think some people are trying to mislead the others for their own advantage ;)

Just kidding there is more sincerity and honesty on this site than any other similar site I have visited, and I rarely visit others because of this reason.

hardworkingstiff

Why would you not tighten the screws? ;)

Seems if there is an issue with loose screws than just about everything we install should have some sort of back up just in case.

Up, down, left, right, it does not matter as long as you install it properly.

I never said it mattered, I just was wondering why anyone would do it?

You never did actually answer the question.

macmikeman

Is there a correct way to install plaster rings on a 4" sq box per the NEC? I seem to remember an electrical inspector requiring that all plaster rings to be installed so they would not fall off in the event the screws were not tightened. In more laymans terms they should not be installed upside down. Can anyone provide what part of the NEC requires this or was this just an overzealous inspectors personal pet peeve.

Thanks

Oh great, now you've done it. You gave me a new idea on how to start some trouble.....:D:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.