plastic vs. metal romex staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

In a recent thread it was mentioned that there are no listed romex staples. From what I've read in the meantime, the collated staples for staple guns (T72 etc) and the plastic staples with two nails are UL listed. Why don't inspectors fail the traditional staples if there's a listed alternative? Just curious...

celtic

In a recent thread it was mentioned that there are no listed romex staples. From what I've read in the meantime, the collated staples for staple guns (T72 etc) and the plastic staples with two nails are UL listed. Why don't inspectors fail the traditional staples if there's a listed alternative? Just curious...

"Listed alternative"??? :confused:

There is no listing requirement ;)

2008 NEC said:
334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable,...

The requirement is the support be designed [sp?] not to damage the cable.

electricmanscott

That thread also pointed out numerous times that there is no requirement that staples be listed.

Not only are staples not required to be listed, you are not required to use a listed product for NM support.

Now stop giving inspectors ammunition to harrass us with nonsense. :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's somewhat of a misconception to think that every product used in an electrical installation must be listed for the purpose. Staples have been used to support/secure various types of cable for about 90 years why question that now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.