Bad Inspector!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos2130

Hi Everyone,
I have this huge problem with the simplest Air Conditioning inspection. The condensor has a name plate of 208 / 230. The inspector says it's a commercial single phase unit and needs me to change the unit to a better suited 240v condenser.
The service switch is a square D non-metallic breaker looking 60 amp rated switch that looks like a breaker. ( but it isn't ) He told me there is no amacity markings on it.
the unit has a max breaker data on it sasying not larger than 35 ampere ocpd. I installed wiring and ocpd for a 40amp , 35 is a rare breaker. 240.4b - I can go one size higher.

Is there a probllem with this. All inspectors in my area have no problem.
Can I get feed back?

have a great Fouth!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree with you on all but "35 is a rare breaker. 240.4b - I can go one size higher." Although 240.4 may allow next higher for the brach circuit, 440.22(C) does not.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree with you on all but "35 is a rare breaker. 240.4b - I can go one size higher." Although 240.4 may allow next higher for the brach circuit, 440.22(C) does not.
opps my error...240.4(b) would not allow it either.. 35 may be "rare" but it's "standard" (240.6) therefore "next higher" wouldn't apply anyway... must be a 35.

rt66electric

disconnecting means only??

disconnecting means only??

What is the breaker size feeding the disconnect???? I usually use the locate correct szie breaker for the A/C in the panel box , as long as it does not exceed the wire ampacity,and use no-fuse disconnect outside. Long hot summers melt fused disconnects

wireguru

are you talking about the SQD QO disconnect, looks like a 2 pole QO breaker but its just a switch? I have one on my A/C. Just show the inspector the cut sheet for the product, he may just not be familiar with it. Or take the cover off and show him the label inside which shows the max ampacity of the switch.

chaos2130

I think I might remind him of someone else. Considering the extra 5 amps on the feeder i think he's a pure ball buster.
Aside from oversizing the feed by a bit and using a service switch he's not firmilar with , telling me the hvac guys installed the wrong condenser? C'mon : (

chaos2130

RT66
the breaker is a 40 - 35 is a rare find. 30 in my opinion is nussiance tripping in the future.
The wiring is up to size of the ocpd.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think I might remind him of someone else. Considering the extra 5 amps on the feeder i think he's a pure ball buster.
Aside from oversizing the feed by a bit and using a service switch he's not firmilar with , telling me the hvac guys installed the wrong condenser? C'mon : (

I don't see him as a "ball buster". You violated the code, install the right breaker and he'll be satisfied. The unit will likely run forever with a 30 amp OCPD.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The wiring is up to size of the ocpd.
Unfortunately, even that doesn't matter. You could run #6 copper, but there still must be a breaker or fuses somewhere in the line rated not more than the 35a the unit's label specifies. I'd try a 30, and if that trips, use the 40a breaker followed by 35a fuses.

By the way, the inspector is wrong about the 208/230v unit not being suitable for residential use. I'll bet the major appliances are similarly marked if they're of recent manufacture. 120/208v 1ph is common in many residential apartment complexes and buildings.

normbac

if the unit has more than a 35 amp cb and malfunctions the manufacture will not warrant it put a pullout disconnect and a 30 a cb in the panel and tell him thanks for correcting your oversight

C3PO

240.6 tells me that a 35A breaker is standard, nothing rare about it IMHO.
That is basic read the nameplate and do what it says not ball busting.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have this huge problem with the simplest Air Conditioning inspection. The condensor has a name plate of 208 / 230. The inspector says it's a commercial single phase unit and needs me to change the unit to a better suited 240v condenser.

What is the supply voltage to the unit? IMO if you have a 240 volt supply a 208 / 230 device is a no-no.

the unit has a max breaker data on it sasying not larger than 35 ampere ocpd. I installed wiring and ocpd for a 40amp , 35 is a rare breaker. 240.4b - I can go one size higher.

What does the nameplate have to say about FLA? I would say that the unit's marked limitation would be law. If the FLA is low enough, which it probably is, a 30 amp circuit is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.