POCO considering charging customers for new transformer.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
No. As they use very little water compared to hand washing a load of dishes. And... they heat their own water too. You can hook one to a cold water line and it will still heat up and wash the dishes.

OK, I see, even if it only needed water for one minute, all those 120 amp loads in the neighborhood would be on at the same time, not pretty! Sort of a one minute brown out. This is assuming the flow of each dishwasher turned on all the elements, as might be the case in cold water that is cold territory. People on public water here complain their cold water is 70°F in the summer!
My aunts and uncle lived outside of Scranton, PA. In the summer they always had a bottle of cold water in the fridge', water in the pipes got a bit tepid. Lake Scranton was open-air.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Used to be a lot of homes supplied by tva electricity had separate meters for heating. They had been promised low cost electricity for heating back in the fifties and sixties to try and use up all the surplus electricity the dams were generating.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Larry and I remember the 60 amp services to houses with an "off-peak" meter beside it coupled with a close nipple or so. That off peak meter fed the water heater. The heater would only turn on during off peak hours. So if you had a house of 3 teenagers, someone was getting a cold shower or they learned to shower at night. I always wondered who reset the clocks after a power outage...;)
Some of those off peak water meters had the lower heating element on one meter and the upper heating element on the other. I can never remember which element was on which. If you used enough hot water for the thermostat to close the circuit the meter for that time period would measure the power used. At an off peak time the other element or perhaps both would be on the off peak meter. As to how that was actually wired I don't remember. In some utility service areas the time was set by a signal sent on the power lines but I don't remember the type of signal or how the control worked.

Yes I now that is not much help. I only dealt with the more complicated versions in New York State and Massachusetts and that was decades ago.

Tom Horne