Pool bonding question

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can the conductive frame be touched by anyone post install? Usually I would see a metal top rim edge that the metal framing connects up to. If yes I would bond. Added safety minimal added cost. Newer code than the 17 has clarified and limited what some are calling a storable pool and the non-bonding of it. Some had considered the above ground pool as a storable because it can be dismantled and are drained down for winter, but 23 seemed to clear that up.

Yes, they did away with the 42" definition in storable pools. They also moved it out of art. 680 and into definitions.

Pool, Storable; used for Swimming, Wading, or Immersion (Storable Immersion Pool). (Storable Pool)
Pools installed entirely on or above the ground that are intended to be stored when not in use and are designed for ease of relocation, regardless of water depth. (680) (CMP-17)

kwired

Electron manager
All metal parts of structure or framework of pool required to be bonded per 680.26(B)(3).
Water to be bonded per 680.26(C).
Deck or perimeter around pool to be bonded per 680.26(B)(2).
Pool pump to be bonded per 680.26(B)(6).
I think we are all reasonably clear on those.

Which does one does the mentioned metallic frame that has a non metallic liner that is not exposed to the the "perimeter surfaces" fall under?

The one I did I felt needed bonded, but did it need bonded in just one place, four points around the perimeter or did it even need bonded at all?
I'd say it at least falls under (B)(3) and likely only needs bonded in one place.
Yes, the perimeter grid, or alternate means, is still required. There has to be something for the water, pump, and other possible items to bond to.
Even a non conductive raised deck surrounding the pool?

You could put something in the dirt below that deck but that has no useful value to pool users if they can't contact that dirt surface while using the pool which is the whole intent of equipotential bonding in and around pools.

Electrobraz

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hello everyone, I've been in the trade over a decade now. I've done many inground and above ground swimming pools. I have an inspector telling me that I have to use the copper mat for my deck bonding if they are doing bluestone around the pool is that accurate? I the rules for pool bonding however never had an inspector requesting that from me before. I read article 680 and can't seem to find that specified?

Electrobraz

Occupation
Master Electrician
can anyone point that out in the NEC in case I'm missing something? I kept my 18-24 inches from the inside pool edge and then kept 6 inches below grade. I can't find that I need that matt
in the NEC. Any thoughts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
can anyone point that out in the NEC in case I'm missing something? I kept my 18-24 inches from the inside pool edge and then kept 6 inches below grade. I can't find that I need that matt
in the NEC. Any thoughts?
Did the inspector cite any particular code section?