Post Roughing Inspection Flag

Lioneye

Occupation
Master Electrician, State Electrical Inspector
There is a shared liability unless there is an intentional concealment of non-compliance by contractor.

Seen many times post rough that substantive changes were made, and later discovered at subsequent inspections.
As stated by others, the liability is entirely on the installing contractor. No shared liability. Inspectors try to (and mostly do) identify incorrect installations, but while they find most issues, they cannot see everything. Experienced inspectors know what to look for and what can be deemed shock or fire hazard and what really isn't a problem. The vast majority are not there to slow down work or punitively apply their observations. Just trying to ensure the state or city shareholders (customers) get a safe and code compliant installation. Some electricians and contractors have issue with this...not sure why.

nizak

It’s ultimately the contractors responsibility to do a code compliant install..

The bigger concern I have is when the job is completed and the final inspection is performed.

Seen a number of obvious violations that were never flagged.

I’ve been told by several people that an inspector doesn’t have time to look at everything.

When it’s staring you in the face and you don’t see it or don’t want to take the time to write it up, that’s wrong.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
It’s ultimately the contractors responsibility to do a code compliant install..

The bigger concern I have is when the job is completed and the final inspection is performed.

Seen a number of obvious violations that were never flagged.

I’ve been told by several people that an inspector doesn’t have time to look at everything.

When it’s staring you in the face and you don’t see it or don’t want to take the time to write it up, that’s wrong.
They have no liability as others are saying so why do they care they get paid either way. Now make them liable and then watch them find things.
Systems a scam like the code making panel

kwired

Electron manager
A situation I once encountered was involving the fire marshal inspector. This was around 20 years ago, I was not the original EC for the new build but got called when they were having problems after the fact.

A new assisted living center had been built, presuming all inspections were finalized and the facility had been in operation for maybe a year or two when I got called. The problem arose when a similar facility with similar designs was being built in another town. Fire marshal noticed the recessed luminaires they were using in main corridors were open style housing and would allow passage of smoke through the ceiling and into the rather openly designed attic - which was done that way because of plumbing that run through that attic space so thermal insulation was on the underside of the roof instead of on top the ceiling.

This was back when luminaires containing CFL lamps was common. Fire marshal caught that issue with the luminaire at the other facility under construction and for whatever reason figured out he let them go at the facility in my town so he came back to investigate and sure enough they were the same luminaire. He said they can't have that. Eventually he allowed them to make a lens to place in the opening and passed that.

That lens blocked air flow and effected cooling and within a few months they started losing ballasts left and right.

I looked things over but kind of glad I never ended up getting involved and not sure what they ever did to resolve the issues. IMO they needed to be threating their designers more so than the installers over this one. From what I recall they called me because the original installer more or less refused to help with this problem. I was fairly new at contracting back then, but if similar had happened to me today I would probably be insisting on going after the design firm for resolutions.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
With all that I find on a weekly basis, I cringe at what I’m unable to see. There is definitely value in a well performed, thorough inspection. I can sleep well at nite, sometimes I wonder about my customers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Maybe desktop not on mobile mine says nothing
Ahhh, I was in fact thinking PC. The point is members profiles are public which is the reason we want everyone to fill it out as per the forum rules.