Posting political preferences on your service vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This may seem like a "no brainer" to many of you but I thought I'd post this as a warning in the event some of you are not aware. This thread is not meant to be a political discussion (in accordance with Forum rules) but after seeing the recent news regarding the President's press secretary being asked to leave a restaurant because she was part of his administration made me think about something I did in the past few years.

I used to have bumper stickers, signs, etc. on my service vehicle displaying my preferences and, at the time, didn't see anything wrong with it. My wife and several of my friends suggested that I remove them and I took their advice.

They reminded me that I was in a service oriented business. I shouldn't care who I agree to take $$$ from as long as I can take those $$$ for services rendered. If you boldly display your preferences - you may not get the job.

Again, this is not an attempt to prompt a political discussion - just reminding everyone to be aware of where you happen to work and of proper protocol.

user 100

This may seem like a "no brainer" to many of you but I thought I'd post this as a warning in the event some of you are not aware. This thread is not meant to be a political discussion (in accordance with Forum rules) but after seeing the recent news regarding the President's press secretary being asked to leave a restaurant because she was part of his administration made me think about something I did in the past few years.

I used to have bumper stickers, signs, etc. on my service vehicle displaying my preferences and, at the time, didn't see anything wrong with it. My wife and several of my friends suggested that I remove them and I took their advice.

They reminded me that I was in a service oriented business. I shouldn't care who I agree to take $$$ from as long as I can take those $$$ for services rendered. If you boldly display your preferences - you may not get the job.

Again, this is not an attempt to prompt a political discussion - just reminding everyone to be aware of where you happen to work and of proper protocol.

Agree w/ this 100%

Its best to try to never mix politics and the job----just don't go there.

Whatever ones political preferences are, there will be disagreements if those preferences become known----always, always, always appear apolitical to when it comes to anything work related.

We are in the business to make money, not to debate political beliefs with, or potentially offend, customers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree too. Your political or religious views may get you a few jobs but they also may cause you to lose some too. Given the fact that today so much is polarized, for the electrical contractor it might best to be simply agnostic both politically and religiously.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with both of you. I would also like to point out that you may not EVER know if you lose a job because of your actions or the display of your preferences. Don't make the mistake I did and just eliminate that display of preference out of the equation.

kwired

Electron manager
Some of your thoughts and beliefs are going to surface one way or another anyway, but may as well not put them on your vehicle to drive away potential clients, unless you do want to filter out certain clients just by doing such things.

Seen many businesses that have religious symbols in their logo. Possibly a turn off to some potential clients, business owner maybe doesn't care or even doesn't want to do business with anyone that this would turn off.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
These days people can be offended by even the most innocent of things. Best to have nothing on your business vehicles that is not directly business related. And I would not even try for humor. Someone will be offended by that in some way.

Besoeker

I agree too. Your political or religious views may get you a few jobs but they also may cause you to lose some too. Given the fact that today so much is polarized, for the electrical contractor it might best to be simply agnostic both politically and religiously.
Or just stay away from both and stick with being professional regarding the job in hand.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have some strongly held political views. I refrain from putting bumper stickers on my personal vehicle. Why? Because occasionally, in my current job and previous one as well, I would have to drive to a customer's office or job site. I didn't and do not want my declaration of political choices to side track the professional image my company's have expected me to project. I'm not there to proselytize or start a fight. I'm there to do a job.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

we are now living in the land of litmus paper. best to not dip.
you really don't want to know, at this point. but there is definitely
a sorting process going on. it doesn't matter what you say, a
large amount of people are going to have a problem with it.

certain stereotypes abound, and deciding to act like one may
get an undesired response from total strangers. i saw a pick up
truck in a big box store parking lot the other day.

it had two very large (4'x6') flags flying from attachment points
on the rear of the vehicle. one american, and another, somewhat
controversial one. it had a NUMBER of politically appropriate stickers
to that point of view adorning the rear windshield.

and three flat tires. not everyone will agree with your sticker, and
some won't support your right to stick it, even tho they told you to stick it.

i used to have a bumper sticker on the back of my work van.

it read:

Two Terms
One in Office
One in Prison

people would honk, and give thumbs up to the sticker. more than a few.
i did not have the heart to say the sticker had been on there over 300,000
miles. from bright red to a light pink. it was still going strong when the
engine spun a main bearing at 488,000 miles.

it seems every office, and every holder of the office, grew to fit the sticker
over time.

there is no way in chrome plated hell i'd put any sticker on any vehicle i
own today. i have 11-99 foundation license plate frames, as i am a member
of that nonprofit.

that's it. the only accessory on my vehicles i've added that is politically
influenced, is the largest pepper spray amazon sells.

it's screwy out there now. expressing your opinion is best left to the
ballot box, and the contribution to whatever charity or PAC tastes good to you.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The only markings my service vehicle has are Dents & Scratches from knocking shopping carts out of parking stalls. And all my clients like it, as long as it doesn't leak oil.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
politics ,religion and sex have always been the social no-no's ,especially in biz

most tend away from them, double that now given our caustic national gestalt

besides, there are better ways to LOOSE biz , if that's one's goal

myself, i've laid into enough bonehead GC's , and retard customers to assume a prima donna rep in my small pond.

truth is, i'm old,ugly ,and just don't have the patience for, nor believe ignorance should be rewarded

~RJ~

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
politics ,religion and sex have always been the social no-no's ,especially in biz

most tend away from them, double that now given our caustic national gestalt

besides, there are better ways to LOOSE biz , if that's one's goal

myself, i've laid into enough bonehead GC's , and retard customers to assume a prima donna rep in my small pond.

truth is, i'm old,ugly ,and just don't have the patience for, nor believe ignorance should be rewarded

~RJ~

Years ago I heard or read that the three topics forbidden in the black gang (crew in the ship's engine room) were women, politics, and religion. It's a good rule to follow anywhere you work.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
These days people can be offended by even the most innocent of things. Best to have nothing on your business vehicles that is not directly business related. And I would not even try for humor. Someone will be offended by that in some way.
Just had a singer (can't remember her name) that sold necklaces with a symbol, some people squawked that is looked like a swastika. It looked nothing like a swastika, it was more of a Myan or Aztec design, yet someone was offended by it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's be careful what we post here. This thread was never meant to be a political discussion yet, as we can see, the moderators have removed two posts that came awfully close to discussing actual recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.