Power Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

Assuming your insurance works out OK, Run big wire to avoid voltage drop. I had to install a voltage booster on a customers gate, the motor would overheat and trip its button. 150 feet with #14 wire.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had to install a voltage booster on a customers gate, the motor would overheat and trip its button. 150 feet with #14 wire.
Since it's still here, it must be undertood that voltage boosting is not magic. The power comes from an additional increase in line current, which contributes to even more voltage drop.

There's no substitute for proper circuit design. Boost the voltage at the source if you can, and drop it back down at the load.

e57

keeps asking me about how to wire this up...:-? BTW: the driveway is about 700' from the house. Question is conduit vs. UF cable, wiring requirements and has anyone out there wired any of these units? Any comments appreciated.
Stay aloof.... 2" - 3" conduit - two of them at least if not three....

It would probably be best for your customer to contact a gate installer.
I agree.... Just don't let the gate installer do the feeder for the mess...

I never ask the customer to find the product. Most homeowners who have already purchased a gate come back with this 'mighty mule' piece of junk.
Or worse ask you to fabricate it....

It may a good idea to check with your insurance agent, gate installations are not covered many times, gates are risky business, that is why the contractors doing a lot of gate work have out of this world pricing.
Also a darned good idea...

A power outlet for seasonal lighting and post lighting on a timmer may also come up or be an up sell.
Sure put anything you want at the PANEL, just be sure to leave some space in the control conduit.

do you think he should transform it up and then down at the posts?
Not a bad idea... Unless of course the service is coming from right next to it. :roll:

OK now 700'? - I inherited a gate at 500' and that thing was done just all messed up.... Lights dimmed down the driveway to the gate - then even dimmer on the way back the other side. :roll: Gate would stall.... Sometimes trip... Sorry but I'm re-living PTSD from that thing - seven years ago....

I say panel if service not coming from it, lights with in-grade line voltage transformers periodically and beefy on the branch.... Big fat conduits and lots of them. (Arranged to drain!) And let some gate guy do the gate - way too much of a learning curve for that. Gate, motor, sensors, Knox Box, access controls all NIC! Just stick to the feeder and branch circuits for lighting control etc. Pull specified control wire for them, and do the camera if you like - but not the gate itself.....

Status
Not open for further replies.