Problem with electrical inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm1470

I wanted to follow up with everyone about the status of this job, I pass this inspection on monday, but not before he open every box and check everything, I dont blame him. But he did say something about the circuit breaker from the main box that was use to feed the condesser unit. So I give you guys this question,
If the condesser unit says 35 amps maximum circuit breaker, what size breaker would you use, would you go to 40 like i did, or to thirty like the inspector wanted. Just for information purposes I dont carry 2 pole 35 amp breakers on my truck, and wouldnt the 125 percent rule apply to this

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I wanted to follow up with everyone about the status of this job, I pass this inspection on monday, but not before he open every box and check everything, I dont blame him. But he did say something about the circuit breaker from the main box that was use to feed the condesser unit. So I give you guys this question,
If the condesser unit says 35 amps maximum circuit breaker, what size breaker would you use, would you go to 40 like i did, or to thirty like the inspector wanted. Just for information purposes I dont carry 2 pole 35 amp breakers on my truck, and wouldnt the 125 percent rule apply to this

Nameplate on A/C equipment already has calculations accounted for. If it says 35 max that is the max. If you were to take individual loads and multiply largest motor by 1.25 and add all other loads you will have same number they have on nameplate for MCA. If you were to calculate a feeder breaker for the same loads you will come up with very close to what they put on nameplate. They have done the calculations for you and put the results on the nameplate.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
If your not a local contractor, some municpalities try their best to make it hard on you because your an outsider. We run into this all the time because we do work in 48 states. They may just be protecting their local guys, or just part of the good ol' boy network. Either way I've seen recently inspected work by a local contractor that passed and looked pretty bad, but then the inspector nit pick us to death on very small details. It's always been that way, and It will never change, just get used to it. I had one inspector that wanted me to fix a local guys mess not realizing it was done and passed previously by another contractor.

I am curious, Did you do the corrections?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
No, I pointed out to him that it was work that was not on our permit, the newly installed disconnect that feed the mess had an inspection sticker on it, and a proudly applied sticker advertising the contractors business.:roll:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nameplate on A/C equipment already has calculations accounted for. If it says 35 max that is the max. If you were to take individual loads and multiply largest motor by 1.25 and add all other loads you will have same number they have on nameplate for MCA. If you were to calculate a feeder breaker for the same loads you will come up with very close to what they put on nameplate. They have done the calculations for you and put the results on the nameplate.

We've been doing that for over 20 years. If it is a 25 amp max we put a 25 amp breaker. If one is not available then we get one. If the panel does not support such a breaker then we go to the next lowest.
but if the Manufact says MAX then you cannot exceed that.

Strife

Did you use a fusible disco with 35A fuses?
If you did, there's no reason to go 35 on the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.