Problem with Milwaukee Hammer Drill?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy-Miser

I have a Milwaukee 5315-21 rotary hammer drill. Lately, while holding on the trigger it starts fast, and then winds down, and stops, until you release and pull the trigger again. Did I inadvertendly put it on a setting that is supposed to do that, or is it failing me? E/M.

mcclary's electrical

I have a Milwaukee 5315-21 rotary hammer drill. Lately, while holding on the trigger it starts fast, and then winds down, and stops, until you release and pull the trigger again. Did I inadvertendly put it on a setting that is supposed to do that, or is it failing me? E/M.

I've got the exact same hammer, and IMO,,,,it's just not that good of a hammer. 2 & 1/2------3 &1/8 core bits prove this to be more of a toy than a tool. Mines gonna get replaced with a big bosch real soon.

Energy-Miser

Check the brushes. That's always a good first check you can do yourself.
The weird thing is that the sequence is pretty consistent. The lenght of time it stays on, the rate at which it winds down, etc. are always the same. Not sure what to make of it.

ceb58

Sounds more like a loose connection on the trigger. In my area there is a building supply store that let a older retired guy set up a work room to repair tools. He fixes any thing from air nailers to corded and cordless tools. $30.00 + parts and he will have your tool ready in no more than two days. Check around you may have something similar in your area.

eds

Same thing happened to mine, had to take it to the repair shop. I would need to pull the ticket on what was wrong,I have had mine about 2 years and had not used it very much.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
I've got the exact same hammer, and IMO,,,,it's just not that good of a hammer. 2 & 1/2------3 &1/8 core bits prove this to be more of a toy than a tool. Mines gonna get replaced with a big bosch real soon.

I agree, have not had good luck with those, prefer Bosch (or Hilti if I take out a mortgage...)

__dan

Milwaukee

Milwaukee

My Milwaukee's have tended to have cheap cords and triggers. The triggers quit way too early, the cords rot off the tool. The Milwaukee's go to repair for cords and triggers, except my Hawk, great tool, lots of hours.

I've been buying Bosch everything

Energy-Miser

Sounds more like a loose connection on the trigger. In my area there is a building supply store that let a older retired guy set up a work room to repair tools. He fixes any thing from air nailers to corded and cordless tools. $30.00 + parts and he will have your tool ready in no more than two days. Check around you may have something similar in your area.

Good idea, will search the internet for someone in my area. Hate to give up on the drill, it is pretty robust otherwise. E/M

Energy-Miser

Same thing happened to mine, had to take it to the repair shop. I would need to pull the ticket on what was wrong,I have had mine about 2 years and had not used it very much.

Yes, this one did not get used that much, which is the more surprising. If you do happen to remember what was wrong please let me know. Thanks,

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The weird thing is that the sequence is pretty consistent. The lenght of time it stays on, the rate at which it winds down, etc. are always the same. Not sure what to make of it.
If it's anything like my Bosch rotary hammer, it has an electronic speed control, and that may be bad.

hurk27

I have a Milwaukee 5315-21 rotary hammer drill. Lately, while holding on the trigger it starts fast, and then winds down, and stops, until you release and pull the trigger again. Did I inadvertently put it on a setting that is supposed to do that, or is it failing me? E/M.

Many of the newer Milwaukee hammer drills have a over speed governor in them, in the back of the motor by the brushes, if a lot of drill dust gets in to it, it will cause it to malfunction and slow the drill down, there is a rotating disk that has an what I think is a hall effect type device that keeps the drill from going into over speed, we have had to replace the disk once because it shattered, and now the screws that hold the brush assembly in have stripped out, so I have to get longer screws that I can put nuts on.

Milwaukee has really gone down hill, those screws just go into the plastic and strip out easily. we had an older spline drive that was much better made, and lasted for over 15 years until one of the guys dropped it from a ladder.:mad:

Energy-Miser

Many of the newer Milwaukee hammer drills have a over speed governor in them, in the back of the motor by the brushes, if a lot of drill dust gets in to it, it will cause it to malfunction and slow the drill down, there is a rotating disk that has an what I think is a hall effect type device that keeps the drill from going into over speed, we have had to replace the disk once because it shattered, and now the screws that hold the brush assembly in have stripped out, so I have to get longer screws that I can put nuts on.

Milwaukee has really gone down hill, those screws just go into the plastic and strip out easily. we had an older spline drive that was much better made, and lasted for over 15 years until one of the guys dropped it from a ladder.:mad:

Thanks for the tip. I am tempted to open the darn thing up, and see if it might not be something obvious and easy to repair, replace a part, etc.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Thanks for the tip. I am tempted to open the darn thing up, and see if it might not be something obvious and easy to repair, replace a part, etc.

I love to repair my tools. However, in terms of time spent, usually a labor of love. Especially how they are put together these days. I have twice replaced the little forward/reverse lever on a bosch hammer drill. The little "tit"--that's what the old-timers call it, I don't know another word--on top of the lever that actuates the forward/reverse change, always broke off.

Status
Not open for further replies.