Proper Cable Type for 12 volt track lighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotpc42

This application is in a commercial bldg.277 volt xformer steps down to 12 volt secondary with a 25 amp circuit breaker built into xformer. Xformer is 300 watt. Lamp wattage is 35. 4 to 6 fixtures per track.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Proper Cable Type for 12 volt track lighting ?

It depends a great deal on the distance you want to go.

I installed a 12 volt 300 watt transformer and if I remember right the directions asked for 10 AWG no more than 6' and by the time you got to 25' it asked for 3 AWG.

Using these size conductors keeps the voltage drop to approx 3% if using the full 25 amps.

This transformer also had taps to change to get the output right at 12 volts, a volt or two effects the brightness of lamps quite a bit.

I would use what ever cable type is in use for the line volt wiring.

pierre

Hello Pilotpc,

You should read Art 411, it is very short. Because of what Bob wrote (voltage Drop), try to locate the transformer as close to the lighting as possible, and in case you do not have a code book (go get one, there is no excuse), the primary side of your transformer can be protected by a fuse or breaker no larger than 20 amps. Also as Bob mentioned, the wiring method you choose has to be from chapter 3 in the NEC, if you are concealing them or running them in the wall.

Bob
how many installers do you think are using a wiring method from chapter three if they are running the wires through a wall or concealed?

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
Bob
how many installers do you think are using a wiring method from chapter three if they are running the wires through a wall or concealed?

Pierre
That is a good question, it is my feeling that a lot of electricians when they install low volt lighting think all the rules go out the window because 12 volts is "harmless".

Many I think forget basic ohms law and think they can run 16 AWG zip cord and not start a fire.

The most common method we install is MC so if we have some low volt lighting we just stay with that.

You bring up a good point on transformer placement, we will try to install it as close as possible to the load served, even if that means getting the GC to install a access door in a sheet rock ceiling.

Bob

pierre

Bob

What about installing the 120v to 12v transformer in one of the kitchen cabinets?(for undercabinet lighting) Does this conform to 110.26?

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

Never had occasion to think about this one, the low volt stuff I have done is ceiling mounted track or pendant fixtures.

I would think 450.13(B) would allow the cabinet mounting of the transformer, but the wiring method for the secondary would be tough to conceal.

If you do a search of this forum and others for "puck lights" "low voltage under cabinet lights" etc. you will get a flood of posts that you could spend the day reading.

edit: as far as 110.26 lets face it many small items are overlooked when it comes to 110.26.

Juntion boxes which many times need to be worked hot do not get the working space, Outlets under counters for dishwashers and disposals etc.

Bob

[ June 15, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.