Pulling a color other then green, then taping green. Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was called to fix a mess caused by a unlicensed Argentinian hack. Ran PVC conduit on top of the

ground, pulled red wire for ground, wired three ways wrong, didn't glue PVC, spilcing in LB's (is

that legal?) not using gaskets on bell boxes, conduit doesn't start and finish in a box, spices out

in the open, not grounding boxes, mounting fixtures right to the structure no box.

Owner calls me and ask how much I charge. Then says wow, your a lot more than others, I was paying the hack $20 a hour. I said yeah and look what you got!:lol:

jumper

Conductors larger than #6 may be indentified by phase tape or others means as an EGC.

(A) Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG. Equipment grounding
conductors larger than 6 AWG shall comply with
250.119(A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) An insulated or covered conductor larger than 6 AWG
shall be permitted, at the time of installation, to be
permanently identified as an equipment grounding conductor
at each end and at every point where the conductor
is accessible.
Exception: Conductors larger than 6 AWG shall not be
required to be marked in conduit bodies that contain no
splices or unused hubs.
(2) Identification shall encircle the conductor and shall be
accomplished by one of the following:
a. Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire
exposed length
b. Coloring the insulation or covering green at the termination
c. Marking the insulation or covering with green tape
or green adhesive labels at the termination

jumper

Splicing in a LB

314.16(C) Conduit Bodies.(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit
bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer
with their volume shall be permitted to contain
splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors
shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit
bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

raider1

Staff member
I was called to fix a mess caused by a unlicensed Argentinian hack. Ran PVC conduit on top of the

ground, pulled red wire for ground

Re-identifying a conductor green must comply with 250.119. Unless the conductor is over a #6 it is not legal to re-identify a red wire in a conduit as a green EGC.

wired three ways wrong,

What do you mean by wired wrong?

didn't glue PVC,

Violation of 352.48

spilcing in LB's (is that legal?)

It can be legal provided that the LB is marked with a volume an the splices comply with 314.16(C).

not using gaskets on bell boxes,

110.3(B)

conduit doesn't start and finish in a box,

300.18(A)

spices out in the open,

not grounding boxes,

mounting fixtures right to the structure no box.

Again 300.15.

Owner calls me and ask how much I charge. Then says wow, your a lot more than others, I was paying the hack $20 a hour. I said yeah and look what you got!:lol:

They got a good list of violations.:)

Chris

zappy

Re-identifying a conductor green must comply with 250.119. Unless the conductor is over a #6 it is not legal to re-identify a red wire in a conduit as a green EGC.

What do you mean by wired wrong?

Violation of 352.48

It can be legal provided that the LB is marked with a volume an the splices comply with 314.16(C).

110.3(B)

300.18(A)

Again 300.15.

They got a good list of violations.:)

Chris
They were not working properly, also landed the red traveler on the ground screw! I guess in Argentina red is ground?:lol:

zappy

Splicing in a LB

314.16(C) Conduit Bodies.(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit
bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer
with their volume shall be permitted to contain
splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors
shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit
bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

Thank you. What if you don't splice in them. How do you size it then?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

ground, pulled red wire for ground, wired three ways wrong, didn't glue PVC, spilcing in LB's (is

that legal?) not using gaskets on bell boxes, conduit doesn't start and finish in a box, spices out

in the open, not grounding boxes, mounting fixtures right to the structure no box.

I would run away! between the problems and the comment, there is not enough money in his pocket to pay for my services!

zappy

I would run away! between the problems and the comment, there is not enough money in his pocket to pay for my services!

I told the guy I have to check all his work. I'm on the clock so all good. I will make sure it's safe, before I leave.

Strife

Is an Argentinian Hack worse than a Haitian hack? Mexican hack or an american hack?
Just curious why you felt the need to specify what type of hack he was.
As in :"SUV rams into a store, injures three people"

I was called to fix a mess caused by a unlicensed Argentinian hack. :

resistance

I guess I should add, if you are asking about sizing a raceway, then see NEC Chp9 T.1 with notes that follow. This is a starting point.

resistance

Chris and Derek stole all my answers so I'm good.

Ow, and that coming from a guy in Washington, that's like being insulted by a plumber.
LOL!!! No comment!! Trust me, the worse I’ve seen was from Cali!!! I actually said this before, and it only took a few minutes before someone else agreed. This isn’t to say all of them>>>obviously, some of the best are on here!!!! Heck, tell the bad ones to stop moving to WA, they are giving Cali a bad rep., and now WA……. LOL!!! We have bad ones here too, and I’m not the best in the world!! But, trust me, I’ve worked with a few from cali, and every time they was wrong and cutting corners!!!

Last edited:

bobbymari

sorry to hear of your experiences of california electricians oh excuse me "hacks" and how they "was the worst you've seen and how they was wrong and cutting corners" now thats funny right there.
props to all the elite edumacated studs in WA

Last edited:

resistance

sorry to hear of your experiances of california electricians oh excuse me "hacks" and how they "was the worst you've seen and how they was wrong and cutting corners" now thats funny right there.
props to all the elite edumacated studs in WA
Trust me, we aren?t all that!!! Or is it, ?wi orn?t all that?.LOL?. We all have our share.

Status
Not open for further replies.