Pulling Wire in a Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

locknut

Greetings, I'm new (first post). Can any of you engineer types or field people tell me 1) if it is a violation and 2) if conductors are inherently changed or damaged by pulling them through more than 360 degrees of bends. I have 4 - 4/0 conductors and 1 - #2 ground in a 2" EMT conduit, approximately 100' long with 7 ninety degree bends. There is a C-condulet after the 4th ninety degree bend, for lubrication and to satisfy code requirements. Is there any prohibition against pulling these conductors from point-to-point without stopping? I believe that there is not, however I have nothing with which to back up my opinion. Any coherent thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Seven nineties without a decent pullbox in the middle? Plus if you're using THHN you're over the fill requirements also.

Who designed this?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unless my math is incorrect, you are legal, fill wise... barely ;)
It's going to be tough pull.
Code wise, the "C" is more than likely not listed for that fill and you are therefore in
violation of 314.28
I'll leave it to the more learned as to possible damage.
Field-wise I have seen it done and listened to the cussin'.
Unless you are compensating for voltage drop, if that #2 is groundING, you could drop it to a #4 or eliminate it if allowed.

Last edited:

ZinskI/E

Tough pull

Tough pull

You can get around the condulet fill with a couple of RE's and a larger diameter C. That won't make the pull any easier, though. With seven 90's in a 100' run, I think I can safely assume these are factory bends, i.e. couplings at both ends of the elbows. In a difficult pull, fittings (die cast, especially) and straps may fail, ruining your conduit run, and most likely your conductors. Better to have too many pull points than not enough.

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like a cable instead of a raceway may have been worth consideration - especially if for some reason there is no place to install pull boxes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Augie said the C conduit body doesn't satisfy the NEC as a pulling point. To do so it would need an opening 8X the trade size of the conduit or 16". Not likely unless you used an over sized condulet.

With the proper setup, and a pulling machine you could likely pull this in one shot. The code is a different story.

Last edited:

BJ Conner

PullPlanner3000 says.

PullPlanner3000 says.

IT will take 24-3300 lbs tension depending on how much soap you use.
About half way throught you exceed 500 lbs of sidewall pressure. That is with factory elbows. :mad:
The code issue is a problem.

kwired

Electron manager
As Augie said the C conduit body doesn't satisfy the NEC as a pulling point. Toe do so it would need an opening 8X the trade size of the conduit or 16". Not likely unless you used an over sized condulet.

With the proper setup, and a pulling machine you could likely pull this in one shot. The code is a different story.

Just use 250's so that after they get stretched you still have 4/0:grin::grin:

How much shorter than the raceway should you have them cut to allow for stretching? Hate to have to throw away too much scrap.

dmagyar

"He who runs the pipe, then gets to pull the wire"

"He who runs the pipe, then gets to pull the wire"

First it sounds like insufficient planning on the routing of this run, but without knowing the whole story who knows.

Second sounds like you've already expected some type of stretching to occur with the wire, you may also defeat the insulation completely, then what? You'll have to get the faulted wires out, that will dwarf the effort it will take to get them stuck in the first place.

This may not turn out good without some changes to the run as stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.