Pulling wire too hard or through too many bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes cell phones are useful tools but their abuse, especially amongst the younger generation, is completely out of control on the jobsite. They think that texts, IM's and other posts on social media while they should be working are just fine and aren't a problem, well they are a problem.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Yes cell phones are useful tools but their abuse, especially amongst the younger generation, is completely out of control on the jobsite. They think that texts, IM's and other posts on social media while they should be working are just fine and aren't a problem, well they are a problem.
I have to agree. I've had kids on job, sent to truck to get some extra parts while I was on ladder, wait, wait, wait .....finally come down take the fixture back down, go out to find out what's up, only to find his thumbs working harder than he'd done all day. And where were the parts, still on the truck. His excuse? Now mind you I'm the owner. "You're on your phone 'all the time'." Well I just about lost it on him.
Now an emergency call from family is one thing, but when I find he'd been texting with his buds as part of some video gaming, that's a whole different story. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be a "one off", had several with similar work ethics.
Did have one great kid, listened and wanted to learn and applied it, I could count on him to be able to give him an assignment and come back and it was done right, lost him to family issues and he had to move away. Would hire home back in an instant.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
And normally if POCO inspects your secondary conduit run to their pole or transformer; 3 90’s max and better have sweeping 90’s😯
we don’t have anything but sweeping 90s on our system. Bending radius on primary is 10-12 times a 1.5-2” cable.
a 9-13” radius bend won’t cut it..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
we don’t have anything but sweeping 90s on our system. Bending radius on primary is 10-12 times a 1.5-2” cable.
a 9-13” radius bend won’t cut it..
Here's the thing that I don't get, one of our local POCO's requires large sweep 90's for an underground from the pole to the house even on 120/240. The electrician installs the raceway and pulls the wire so why does the POCO care when their not even installing the conductors?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Here's the thing that I don't get, one of our local POCO's requires large sweep 90's for an underground from the pole to the house even on 120/240. The electrician installs the raceway and pulls the wire so why does the POCO care when their not even installing the conductors?
My guess is that they want to minimize the chance of any hidden damage to the conductors during the pulling process even if they do not do it. Or maybe their standard was written for the case where they had to do the pull and they just applied it across the board?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That makes no sense, unless the PoCo assumes responsibility after they are installed..

Yeah I always see these whiny specs from utilities - giant pipes, large sweeps, sometime RMC. Bunch of wimps dont know how to pull wire :mad:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah I always see these whiny specs from utilities - giant pipes, large sweeps, sometime RMC. Bunch of wimps dont know how to pull wire :mad:
Unless they assume responsibility forever..

We use large pipe and large sweeps and we know how to pull wire.
We do something you will never do...
We warranty our wire and installation FOREVER...
If someone else installs something for us, it’s going to be done to meet our warranty conditions..;)

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
That makes no sense, unless the PoCo assumes responsibility after they are installed..
Well, the municipality is completely indemnified from any work you do on the house, even if the inspector misses something, at least that's how it is by me. Everything falls on the EC, and I mean EVERYTHING. I assume it's the same for the POCO.

Essentially, every bit of liability falls on us, and yet we are governed by people who have zero liability. I would argue if one is to govern something, they automatically assume a degree of liability... but that's not the reality we currently inhabit.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Phones should not be allowed on a jobsite unless you are a supervisor.
Companies don’t have that right unless it’s a safety/security issue.

Are you trying to say the supervisors wouldn’t use their phone for personal calls?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Actually, they do.
A company can have a policy stating personal phones are to be off, put away, not in the premises, etc.
As long as they are paying you to do a job your personal life should not come to work.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
As a private company, they do have the right to prohibit cell phone use on the job for non-emergency things. There is also a moral/ethical concern with being paid hourly and not doing work related things while being paid for such.

Then again, rights do not objectively exist. They are subjective and agreed upon by the democratic majority.
As long as they are paying you to do a job your personal life should not come to work.
How did you guys get on the topic of cell phone usage on the job? lol. I was following this thread initially, and now all of sudden you're on cell phone usage on the job, lol

I agree that if you're being paid hourly, there is a moral and ethical issue inherent in doing non-emergency personal things on the job such as using your cell phone for non-work-related things.

Conversely, I disagree with the whole "your personal life should not come to work thing." We are who we are and the idea that we should be anything less just furthers the dehumanization of the working classes. The idea that we are able to physically separate the two is a logical impossibility in my opinion.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Actually, they do.
A company can have a policy stating personal phones are to be off, put away, not in the premises, etc.
Again, they do not have the rite to tell you that you can not have a cell phone on you, unless it is a safety/security issue. The phone in your pocket has zero to do with work performance. Can I wear a T shirt under my company issued shirt?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Again, they do not have the rite to tell you that you can not have a cell phone on you, unless it is a safety/security issue. The phone in your pocket has zero to do with work performance. Can I wear a T shirt under my company issued shirt?
Speaking as an employer, you can't prove that by me, I've had many kids that can't seem to leave their phones alone, and infact it has significant impact on performance. As to safety I'd have to say yes it is, on a jobsite I would be hard pressed to say it wouldn't be a safety issue, on construction site, too many hazards to be not paying attention what is going on around you, injury to self or someone else a real possibility.
On their break or lunch one thing, but I am paying you for work, not talking to your buds about the video game you've been playing.
Or maybe I'm just too old, a different gen.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Speaking as an employer, you can't prove that by me, I've had many kids that can't seem to leave their phones alone, and infact it has significant impact on performance. As to safety I'd have to say yes it is, on a jobsite I would be hard pressed to say it wouldn't be a safety issue, on construction site, too many hazards to be not paying attention what is going on around you, injury to self or someone else a real possibility.
On their break or lunch one thing, but I am paying you for work, not talking to your buds about the video game you've been playing.
Or maybe I'm just too old, a different gen.
The phone has nothing to do with it, its about personnel responsibility and work ethic, two things required to maintain prosperous employment, but that’s JMO.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

the owner of the contracting company we use has a policy if you have a cell phone on you during working hours your fired.
it’s been tested through a labor board.
Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t make it false. ;)

jusme123

Occupation
JW

the owner of the contracting company we use has a policy if you have a cell phone on you during working hours your fired.
it’s been tested through a labor board.
Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t make it false. ;)
...and who’s searching my pockets for a cell phone? And no, I don’t believe it

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you'll find that a lot of people who you see using their cell phone on a regular basis during the day are getting at least as much done as the guys who are pretending to work. There's a lot of people who have learned to pretend to work and don't accomplish much.

Status
Not open for further replies.