Push in wire connector in place of wirenut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The design of the push in wire connectors is much different that that of the stab in wiring devices. There is a much higher spring pressure and a much larger contact area in the push in wire connectors.
....but the concept is the same, if it’s a heavy load that is frequently turned on and off, .....no thanks, I’ll stick with wirenuts. JMHO

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
....but the concept is the same, if it’s a heavy load that is frequently turned on and off, .....no thanks, I’ll stick with wirenuts. JMHO
No the concept is not the same. Just like soldering and wirenuts are not the same. Lets not even get into many fuse clips, plug-on breakers, and cord plugs that also use a spring clip style connection.

I am not trying to convince you to stop using wirenuts, I just don't like the comparing all spring clip wire connections to the 'back-stabs' found in wiring devices.

kwired

Electron manager
Insulation piercing connecting devices are same yet not the same as well. And there are some out there for small conductors as well as some for large conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
.... if it’s a heavy load that is frequently turned on and off, .....
Actually a spring pressure contact device is better suited for loads like than a screw terminal as the spring pressure device compensates for the thermal expansion and contraction that results from the cycling load.

OpenCircuit

Is it common practice to use stab lock connectors in residential dwellings and small commercial instead of twisting wire using wire nuts?
Wagos seem to be a good alternative for switches when the wires are (too) short or have been twisted and untwisted a lot, this way you don't have to twist the wires again, potentially damaging them... would't want wagos on something that draws a lot of current. They are supposedly designed for same current rating as the circuit conductors. And would not want the knock off wagos, heard a bunch of bad stuff about them.

The push ins on the back of devices... (kept being told to stay away as if it is the devil).

kwired

Electron manager
Actually a spring pressure contact device is better suited for loads like than a screw terminal as the spring pressure device compensates for the thermal expansion and contraction that results from the cycling load.
I agree, just so happens the spring in "backstab" switches and receptacles is a poor spring is why they don't work out so well.

briandimig

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I have only ever had issues with the non genuine ones. If you buy the ones from the Wago website they are fine but even the ideal brand ones I've had issues with.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I watched a clip on utube, where the guy took a #12 THHN and had a Wago and a wirenut on it, put 90 amps though the wire. Every thing melted off, but the connectors ( Wago and wirenut) held.

Just starting to use the Wago’s. The thing I like is how much smaller they are than the wirenut’s. The wire’s are easier to “roll” back in the box.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

ron

Wago brand seem to have two types. Push in (PUSH WIRE® Connectors) and lever type (LEVER-NUTS® Splicing Connectors).
I just started to see the lever type discussed at a jobsite recently for use.

The push in type, although not Wago, were being proposed for the Hubble SnapConnect receptacles where the modular plug has the push in for the building wire branch circuit connection and is left for rough, and then the receptacle body get snapped onto the modular connector at finish by a helper.

We'll see if the place burns down. ;)

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone know where I can order Wago’s online? Our slurpy house do not keep but a few box’s on hand

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I remember hearing stories that some people resisted wire nuts when they 1st came out. They were concerned the connection was inferior to the solder method.

I soldered until 2008 (I’m in my 30’s). It’s how I was taught, it was all I knew. I got a lot of comments about it on this forum.

Anyway, now I use push in connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.