PV Array and Battery size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Okay. Yes, it is a baseline quote without rework or upgrades included. We are adding it to the customer's existing array of 21.56kW, Fronius inverter at ground mount.
I see. A single Powerwall cannot coexist with that much PV; you'll have to either isolate the Powerwall from the PV in a partial backup and let the PV shut down in an outage or use contactors or something to disconnect all but (again IIRC) 7.6kW AC of the PV so it can run off grid with a single Powerwall. You would need three Powerwalls for it all to run off grid.

Ozymandias

I see. A single Powerwall cannot coexist with that much PV; you'll have to either isolate the Powerwall from the PV in a partial backup and let the PV shut down in an outage or use contactors or something to disconnect all but (again IIRC) 7.6kW AC of the PV so it can run off grid with a single Powerwall. You would need three Powerwalls for it all to run off grid.

Yes the situation could get complicated but he has a back up generator so he wouldn't rely completely on PV generation or storage. Sorry for lack of context. Mainly he wants to offset his AC in the summer nights till storage is discharged or as a hybrid source with the grid.
I suppose per the 15kW inverter(PV array oversized 1.5) ideally you'd want two Powerwalls, 7.6kW x 2, especially for a cooling system.
In the beginning we imagined one Powerwall would suffice as partial storage source(still grid tied) and scale later if needed.

ggunn

Occupation
Yes the situation could get complicated but he has a back up generator so he wouldn't rely completely on PV generation or storage. Sorry for lack of context. Mainly he wants to offset his AC in the summer nights till storage is discharged or as a hybrid source with the grid.
I suppose per the 15kW inverter(PV array oversized 1.5) ideally you'd want two Powerwalls, 7.6kW x 2, especially for a cooling system.
In the beginning we imagined one Powerwall would suffice as partial storage source(still grid tied) and scale later if needed.
A generator in the mix makes it still more complicated. Just out of curiosity, are you (as and individual or as a company) experienced at coordinating Powerwalls, PV, and generators in the same systems? Getting all to behave the way a customer wants it to can be a challenge for both the system integrator and the customer. Grid tied PV is mostly "set it and forget it", but a system like the one you are describing requires some level of understanding by the customer even after it is installed.

Ozymandias

A generator in the mix makes it still more complicated. Just out of curiosity, are you (as and individual or as a company) experienced at coordinating Powerwalls, PV, and generators in the same systems? Getting all to behave the way a customer wants it to can be a challenge for both the system integrator and the customer. Grid tied PV is mostly "set it and forget it", but a system like the one you are describing requires some level of understanding by the customer even after it is installed.
We have dealt with generators and PV combinations before but a Powerwall is new grounds. We'll have the Tesla certified installer to integrate it and I am beginning to see how challenging this could get. We may have to simplify this as much as possible or go with something complete different like a hybrid inverter. Although the customer is a techie this is not your average customer situation who only wants to see the magic happen.

ggunn

Occupation
We have dealt with generators and PV combinations before but a Powerwall is new grounds. We'll have the Tesla certified installer to integrate it and I am beginning to see how challenging this could get. We may have to simplify this as much as possible or go with something complete different like a hybrid inverter. Although the customer is a techie this is not your average customer situation who only wants to see the magic happen.
Just be advised that incorporating a single Powerwall as a partial home backup is significantly more complicated than multiple Powerwalls as a whole home backup. How are you planning to connect the PV? The simplest approach would be to connect on the line side of the ATS so that when the grid goes down the PV shuts off and cannot backfeed the generator, but some customers will push back on that. It's good that you will have a Tesla expert to help with this.

Good luck; either way you are going to have an educational experience. ;^)

ggunn

Occupation
Also be advised that if you install a single Powerwall as a partial backup and later want to install more of them to backup the whole service you will need to rewire and reconfigure the whole system. Equipment, conductors, and connectivity will all change. We get customers who want a single Powerwall now with the option of adding more later, but they do not understand how expensive the upgrade would be; the cost of the additional Powerwall is only part of the expense.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
We get customers who want a single Powerwall now with the option of adding more later, but they do not understand how expensive the upgrade would be; the cost of the additional Powerwall is only part of the expense.
I don't see why that would have to be the case. If you know up front that ease of later full backup is a goal, then you can design the initial installation to make the later work easy to do. That may increase the cost of the initial work, but the later switch to full backup should just require adding the PWs and moving a feeder or two.

Cheers, Wayne

Ozymandias

Just be advised that incorporating a single Powerwall as a partial home backup is significantly more complicated than multiple Powerwalls as a whole home backup. How are you planning to connect the PV? The simplest approach would be to connect on the line side of the ATS so that when the grid goes down the PV shuts off and cannot backfeed the generator, but some customers will push back on that. It's good that you will have a Tesla expert to help with this.

Good luck; either way you are going to have an educational experience. ;^)
Thanks! Often times the learning happens 90% of the way into it, the other 10% happens after when I say to myself "Why did I do it that way? I could've done this way!"

ggunn

Occupation
I don't see why that would have to be the case. If you know up front that ease of later full backup is a goal, then you can design the initial installation to make the later work easy to do. That may increase the cost of the initial work, but the later switch to full backup should just require adding the PWs and moving a feeder or two.

Cheers, Wayne
Have you done this before? We have, and it has not been that simple for us.

CAVEAT: I have been in commercial PV and out of residential PV design for a couple of years; maybe things have changed.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Have you done this before? We have, and it has not been that simple for us.
Once only, but I've thought about these configurations a lot.

Obviously it can be complicated when the existing wiring system has multiple panels, etc. But the basic idea is just to ensure that the generation panel has room for the future PW (ESS) breakers, and that the backed up panels and feeders have the capacity to allow the feeder segment(s) to the non-backed panel(s) to be resupplied from behind the Gateway (MID) without having to upsize in the future.

That's all for a 200A service or under; for a 400A service, whole house backup with a single Gateway is quite complicated.

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

Occupation
Once only, but I've thought about these configurations a lot.

Obviously it can be complicated when the existing wiring system has multiple panels, etc. But the basic idea is just to ensure that the generation panel has room for the future PW (ESS) breakers, and that the backed up panels and feeders have the capacity to allow the feeder segment(s) to the non-backed panel(s) to be resupplied from behind the Gateway (MID) without having to upsize in the future.

That's all for a 200A service or under; for a 400A service, whole house backup with a single Gateway is quite complicated.

Cheers, Wayne
We have done it dozens of times, and most of the time adding a Powerwall and changing from a partial to whole home backup is major surgery.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
We have done it dozens of times, and most of the time adding a Powerwall and changing from a partial to whole home backup is major surgery.
Certainly likely if the original PW install was not designed with a plan for the future upgrade.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think what ggunn is saying the infrastructure for a 200A backed up panel is a significant increase in cost over a 100A backed up panel. And if one is unfortunate enough to have the 100A backup panel installed without realizing that this isn't future-planned for 200A whole home backup, then it's far worse, since one essentially has to pay for the installation all over again for whole home backup. Clients need to be clear with contractors if they have future goals, and contractors should ask clients if they have future goals in order to present them the best choices and the true cost for those choices.

Put another way, I really hate the oversimplified 'one Powerwall can back up part of your home, two Powerwalls can back up your whole home' sales pitch that some companies use. It's highly misleading as to the number of considerations and decisions that need to be executed to get the typical client what they really want.

caribconsult

Occupation
Retired computer consultant
Okay. Yes, it is a baseline quote without rework or upgrades included. We are adding it to the customer's existing array of 21.56kW, Fronius inverter at ground mount.
I have a dumb question. Have you done an analysis from your current electric bill to see what your average daily consumption is for the house? That really should be the starting point. You very well may need a 2nd battery but I don't see the sense in two separate Tesla systems with one battery each. Now you have an inverter with enough headroom to handle this kind of current? Is 21.56Kw its limit or can it handle more? Isn't it possible to add to the battery capacity of the already in-place system? Having two separate systems is twice the headache.

Last edited:

Ozymandias

I have a dumb question. Have you done an analysis from your current electric bill to see what your average daily consumption is for the house? That really should be the starting point. You very well may need a 2nd battery but I don't see the sense in two separate Tesla systems with one battery each. Now you have an inverter with enough headroom to handle this kind of current? Is 21.56Kw its limit or can it handle more? Isn't it possible to add to the battery capacity of the already in-place system? Having two separate systems is twice the headache.
Yes, we will do an average daily usage for the house. The customer has the existing array but the original idea was for one Powerwall battery with the option to add a second to increase storage if needed. It was pointed out by jaggedben that there are many variables to consider. At the moment it looks like we will add a critical load backup panel but there is still a survey scheduled with the certified Tesla installer.
21.56kW is close to the oversize limit(1.5) recommended by for the 15kW fronius.

caribconsult

Occupation
Also be advised that if you install a single Powerwall as a partial backup and later want to install more of them to backup the whole service you will need to rewire and reconfigure the whole system. Equipment, conductors, and connectivity will all change. We get customers who want a single Powerwall now with the option of adding more later, but they do not understand how expensive the upgrade would be; the cost of the additional Powerwall is only part of the expense.
Good point. As far as I understand, the Tesla Gateway, which you should have if you're going with PW2 batteries, has a 'throughput' limit of 5Kw continuous, 7Kw surge. So aren't you limited by that, no matter how many batteries you have? Yes, a bigger array will last longer, but you cant be pulling 6Kw+ on a constant basis. So what's the actual draw with all A/C's running? The OP here seemed to indicate 21.56 was a limit but he didn't quite make it clear if that was the average house draw in Kw at any given time or the total KwH for a day, or perhaps the throughput limit of the inverter, which I'm leaning towards, but in any case that's a pretty good to big draw, indicating some big eaters of juice, like A/C's, electric water heaters, etc. Does Tesla offer Gateways that will allow more than 5Kw continuous? That's what you'd need if you want those multiple batteries to be able to supply heavier draw, right? I think dual systems with two separate controllers should be avoided at all costs. Knowing how secretive Tesla is, getting their batteries to work with some other controller/gateway or getting their gateway to work with other batteries might be an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Good point. As far as I understand, the Tesla Gateway, which you should have if you're going with PW2 batteries, has a 'throughput' limit of 5Kw continuous, 7Kw surge.
Incorrect. That's the capability of just one PW2, and for multiple PW2s those ratings add. The Gateway rating is 200A.

Cheers, Wayne

caribconsult

Occupation
Incorrect. That's the capability of just one PW2, and for multiple PW2s those ratings add. The Gateway rating is 200A.

Cheers, Wayne
Interesting. I looked at the Datasheet for the Gateway and it does indeed say max AC input of 200a. So theoretically, I could open the grid circuit into the gateway, and leave it open and the system would use the grid only as necessary, and switch to the PW if the grid went down, but while it's on the grid, it could pull up to 200a AC, which is what the main breaker is marked. The 5Kw limit applies to battery ops only, it seems.

The only obstacle is killing the sell-back. We don't have that and here you need a separate meter from the POCO, a special permit, and it's pennies they give you, and we don't want it. If you try to sellback, the meter LED display shows "ËRROR" which they can read from the office. Not good. At least we have it when we need it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Last I knew Tesla enforced a limit on the ratio of PV power to Powerwall, I believe 7.6kW per unit. So with a single 15kW solar inverter you'd be required to have two Powerwalls if you wanted the solar to operate off-grid with them.

caribconsult

Occupation
No, that wasn't my thought. What I was inquiring about was how much grid you could pull through the gateway if you were on grid and it was working. We have 200a/240v service to the house. Could all of that pass through the gateway? Right now, if we need to use that amount of juice, let's say we're welding something, we just switch the whole house over to the grid directly, not through the gateway. Would the Gateway permit that, or would it panic once the load reached about 6Kw?

Status
Not open for further replies.