PVC cement application

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

PVC coupling glued onto a stick of sch 40, Does putting PVC glue on the outside do anything at all? A waist of glue or does it actually help hold it better?

John120/240

I Have always swab ed glue on the inside of the fitting & the outside of the conduit.

I remember hearing that PVC connections are actually welded. The solvent in the glue softens

the two mating surfaces & they become one when you stick them together. my .02

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
PVC coupling glued onto a stick of sch 40, Does putting PVC glue on the outside do anything at all? A waist of glue or does it actually help hold it better?

small conduit, going into a bell end on another conduit, i swab the outside of the conduit,
get it really wet, and slide it in, give it a quarter turn, and we are done....

with 1 1/2" and larger i get the inside of the coupling and end of pipe....
getting both surfaces wet allows solvent welding to be more completely done.

when i'm gluing to a coupling or MA, FA, etc. i get both sides wet. it's a stronger
weld.

ceb58

I think the OP is asking about swabbing glue on the outside after the coupling is already on the pipe. It dose a lot of good..... if you own the glue company.

BattleCat

I think the OP is asking about swabbing glue on the outside after the coupling is already on the pipe. It dose a lot of good..... if you own the glue company.
Agreed, this is what he is asking.

And I agree that it does nothing.

kwired

Electron manager

I think that is what is being asked also.

To the OP: The response in post #2 tells us fairly well what happens.

The PVC cement is not much of an adhesive, instead it "solvent welds" the pieces together. It kind of liquefies portions of the two parts and then they harden as one.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

I'm sure the glue company be very happy with that...:lol:

GerryB

Glue on the outside looks good for the inspector. Since we are talking glue what is the difference in them. The supply house gives me clear, I know there is one for cold weather, when the HO gets it it's always grey goop, and of course the plumbers are into pink. Are all these glues from different horses?:?:D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Glue on the outside looks good for the inspector. Since we are talking glue what is the difference in them. The supply house gives me clear, I know there is one for cold weather, when the HO gets it it's always grey goop, and of course the plumbers are into pink. Are all these glues from different horses?:?:D

Where does it say glue on the label?

The stuff I use is cement. Not glue. I am pretty sure you are using cement as well.

Take some time to read some labels.

The PVC cement plumbers use requires primer. The PVC cement listed for use with electrical conduit is used without primer. The clear stuff is kind of thin. The grey is heavier bodied. I like the grey stuff better.

As mentioned, cement works by dissolving the PVC and when the solvent in the cement evaporates, the PVC becomes welded together.

I was taught to only put cement on the 'male' part of the joint, lest cement on the female side gets pushed ahead of the joint and drips down into the pipe, possibly making the pull more difficult.

Putting cement on the outside of a finished joint does nothing if the joint is made up properly. It probably looks like hack work to any inspector worth his salt.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I am with the majority here

It is cement, not glue, applying it after assembly is a waste

It will find wounds you did not even know you had.

Tyler sounds like he does becuse he is just that good, with or without PVC cement. :cool:

Speshulk

Tried out a spray can of the combination primer / glue recently. Worked really well. It's especially handy when working in a ditch. After you spray it on, you can just drop the can while you put the joint together. Avoids the annoying spills of the brush-in-can types that you can get when you rush and set the can on an uneven surface.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It does actually help hold it better... but only by a trivial amount and thus deemed, as mentioned, a waste of glue (and time).

As for what it is, it is a glue, cement, solvent, and an adhesive by generic definitions. Marketing-wise, it is called a solvent cement. It does not totally rely on a solvent "weld" to join... but a fully "welded" joint yields the best achievable binding, the reasoning behind the twist upon assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.