Pvc mast with metal weatherhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmann

does anyone know of a code reference that requires a metal weatherhead mounted to a pvc mast to be bonded? local inspector is requiring it and we can't find it in the code. I understand his reasoning behind it, but if anyone is disturbing a metal mast with live conductors, they deserve to be electrocuted. thanks!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never seen a PVC mast. That being said, in a case where the service entrance conductors are inside a conduit body you are not permitted to change that conduit body. A weather head is part of the conduit body.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A mast provides the support for the service drop conductors. If the conduit doesn't provide the support for the service drop conductors, it is just a service raceway.

tmann

sorry I didn't make the wording clear. anyway, it's a pvc raceway with a metal weatherhead and the service is already energized. we know we can change the weather head to pvc, but we're looking for a code reference that says the weatherhead has to be bonded in our situation. the code doesn't really address it directly as far as we can tell.

sorry I didn't make the wording clear. anyway, it's a pvc raceway with a metal weatherhead and the service is already energized. we know we can change the weather head to pvc, but we're looking for a code reference that says the weatherhead has to be bonded in our situation. the code doesn't really address it directly as far as we can tell.

check your local POCO spec's

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
For me this is an interesting question:

I agree with the NEC references mentioned earlier.

Why does he want the weather head connected to the grounding system? It is on the POCO side so if there is a fault the service OCPD will not open up anyway. If there is a lightning strike, the conduit is non conductive so having the weather head bonded does not mean anything

I am just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.