PVC on the side of a sidewalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
What if it was under the edge of the concrete the entire way?
Probably ok, it would afford protection like under a building slab. 2” of concrete is supposedly equal to one foot of dirt, so if he had dug down deeper, and poured concrete, I would have been ok with it. (Inspector’s discretion)

kwired

Electron manager
Probably ok, it would afford protection like under a building slab. 2” of concrete is supposedly equal to one foot of dirt, so if he had dug down deeper, and poured concrete, I would have been ok with it. (Inspector’s discretion)
2" concrete = 1 foot of dirt?
seems to me 2" concrete is just plain and simple enough of a shield to protect it from damage - from hand tools or smaller powered tools. Some larger mechanical excavation equipment still has no problem damaging it though, but also has no problem when buried at T300.5 depths with no concrete as well.

hillbilly1

Occupation
2" concrete = 1 foot of dirt?
seems to me 2" concrete is just plain and simple enough of a shield to protect it from damage - from hand tools or smaller powered tools. Some larger mechanical excavation equipment still has no problem damaging it though, but also has no problem when buried at T300.5 depths with no concrete as well.
I would agree, but that seems to be the rule of thumb.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It also appears that scheduling the job did not work out. That conduit could have just been installed in the concrete and avoid all this mess.

hillbilly1

Occupation
The Dominican Republic is pretty rocky, I had to dig in some landscape lights for the palm trees in the back yard. Only a couple of inches of soil. They must have blasted to build the pool.

kwired

Electron manager
The Dominican Republic is pretty rocky, I had to dig in some landscape lights for the palm trees in the back yard. Only a couple of inches of soil. They must have blasted to build the pool.
Just blast out the pool possibly apply a seal coating and pool is done? Other than piping, equipotential bonding and such, which sounds like a challenge as well.

macmikeman

I grew up in South Florida. What rock? There is 3 things your shovel will hit. Sand and water and tree roots.

Ok, Ok , there is some rock quarries , few and far between though..........