annular space around the pvc conduit completely sealed
with an approved material.......Most of the electricians
in these parts use an approved type of intumescent fire
caulking.

Recommend that you discuss this penetration with the
AHJ first!

& & & & & &

Strife

Is PVC conduit allowed to penetrate a block wall that has a 3 Hour fire rating? I'm thinking not but don't have IBC.

Sure, as long as the penetration has the required rating.
That means, you'll have to use one of those collars that expand as the PVC melts so the fire rating is still maintained.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok do I need to use a collar on both sides of the wall or just one side?
Contact the manufacturer you are planning on using such as Hilti or 3M and tell them what you are planning, they will provide the back up for their particular assembly. With out the back up to the products application you will have nothing. You can also find the information in the UL Orange books but it is easier to get it from the manufacturer.

Roger

eprice

Contact the manufacturer you are planning on using such as Hilti or 3M and tell them what you are planning, they will provide the back up for their particular assembly. With out the back up to the products application you will have nothing. You can also find the information in the UL Orange books but it is easier to get it from the manufacturer.

Roger

I agree, the manufacturer is the best source for this information. I recall a new motel project that I was inspecting. Motels have lots of rated walls and ceilings. This project had lots of penetrations through rated construction, not only electrical but plumbing and HVAC as well. The contractor was completely overwhelmed trying to come up with fire stop assemblies for all of the different types of penetrations. I suggested to the general contractor that he contact a fire stop manufacturer. I don't remember now which manufacturer it was, but the manufacturer actually sent a representative who spent a day or two on site helping with selection of fire stop assemblies and providing documentation. It made life a lot simpler for the trades, and it made my job as inspector easier as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.