PVC to EMT and metal 4 sq box

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I haven’t had to go from pvc to metal before so without knowing the proper material hookup for an underground 1’ pvc conduit 12 inches deep trench with 2” concrete to be covering leading to a reduction of a 3/4 EMT to a metal deep 4 square box with 3/4 knockouts for a 20 ampere receptacle circuit

My coworker suggested using a metal 1’ to 3/4’ reducing bushing inside of PVC female adapter at pvc 90 degree stub up bend end to 3/4 set screw EMT connector to EMT and again a 3/4 set screw connector at EMT end to metal box

Would this be a proper way to transition from pvc to emt, we did not have smaller pvc and I never had to go from pvc to metal before? Also a EGC will be ran inside of pvc to mitigate bonding

See picture below thanks

Attachments

• 7824F4C0-5CB8-4F70-81B9-38609979795D.jpeg
    7824F4C0-5CB8-4F70-81B9-38609979795D.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 38

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't see anything illegal about that.

It's not a terrible idea to use a 1" C condulet, with the PVC on one side and the reducing bushing on the other, so that your reduction in size isn't in the middle of your run where it'd be a pain if you struggle to get your fishtape through.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What you are doing is fine. However, as suggested either use the 4s box with 1" KO, or a "C" conduit body, or enlarge the 3/4" KO to 1" and just continue with 1" EMT, or PVC40 or PVC80

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I haven’t had to go from pvc to metal before so without knowing the proper material hookup for an underground 1’ pvc conduit 12 inches deep trench with 2” concrete to be covering leading to a reduction of a 3/4 EMT to a metal deep 4 square box with 3/4 knockouts for a 20 ampere receptacle circuit

My coworker suggested using a metal 1’ to 3/4’ reducing bushing inside of PVC female adapter at pvc 90 degree stub up bend end to 3/4 set screw EMT connector to EMT and again a 3/4 set screw connector at EMT end to metal box

Would this be a proper way to transition from pvc to emt, we did not have smaller pvc and I never had to go from pvc to metal before? Also a EGC will be ran inside of pvc to mitigate bonding

See picture below thanks
Is this an outdoor location?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
No it’s indoors and we did not have 3/4 conduit so owner said to use 1” pvc just to hurry up installation
No it’s indoors and we did not have 3/4 conduit so owner said to use 1” pvc just to hurry up installation
I wasn’t sure about rules regarding transitions from pvc to metal enclosures as I have not done this before. I only ran either all metal EMT or all pvc boxes and conduit before