PVC wire

Rock-Noll

Occupation
Master Electrician
I see table 690.31(A)(3)(1) showing PVC wire with a higher amperage than I expected. We're still on the 2017 code here, so haven't delved into the most recent code much & first time I noticed this table. Easy going inspector on the job I intend to use this on, so he'll be fine with complying with a more recent edition of the code. But if I use the following wire, in size #10, am I right in thinking that this is good for 46 amps!?
servicewire.com/Products/XH-PVC.htm

It will be terminated with MC4 connectors on each side that is rated for 54 amps for #10 wire. So I think I'm good for derating the heck out of this with a crowded conduit and all. Just want to make sure I am reading this table right and starting with the right number for my derating. Just higher than the 40 amps for #10 USE-2 I would usually use.
Thanks!

Carultch

I see table 690.31(A)(3)(1) showing PVC wire with a higher amperage than I expected. We're still on the 2017 code here, so haven't delved into the most recent code much & first time I noticed this table. Easy going inspector on the job I intend to use this on, so he'll be fine with complying with a more recent edition of the code. But if I use the following wire, in size #10, am I right in thinking that this is good for 46 amps!?

It will be terminated with MC4 connectors on each side that is rated for 54 amps for #10 wire. So I think I'm good for derating the heck out of this with a crowded conduit and all. Just want to make sure I am reading this table right and starting with the right number for my derating. Just higher than the 40 amps for #10 USE-2 I would usually use.
Thanks!
The NEC does not permit you to take credit for ampacities on a manufacturer's datasheet, that override the general ampacities from the NEC's table. You may be able to use MFR's datasheet values for intermediate sizes if your AHJ allows it, like you might do when using DLO/RHW-2 wire, but this is uncommon. The datasheet you linked, also doesn't reflect different ampacities than the NEC's standard table. I'm not sure where you are seeing 46A for #10.

On top of that, you commonly have terminal restrictions that require you to use (usually) the 75C column of the ampacity table, even when the wire is 90C rated. The main value in 90C rated wire, is correcting it for conductor bundling and ambient temperature, which are factors that don't apply to terminations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with @Carultch

The ampacity of the conductor is limited to the rating of the terminals which are usually 75C so #10 is only rated 30 amps. Remember 240.4 we only allow #10 at 30 amps unless it falls under 240.4g

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The datasheet for that wire says it is limited to 90C wet/dry, so the higher temperature ratings don't help you.

I see table 690.31(A)(3)(1) showing PVC wire with a higher amperage than I expected.
UL 4703 for PV wire only provides for 105C and 125C dry location ratings; the wet location rating is still limited to 90C.

But yes, if you got some 105C or 125C dry location PV wire, and if you are running it in a dry location, then you could utilize the higher ampacity values in table 690.31(A)(3)(1). Most likely with 75C or 90C rated terminations in conjunction with ampacity adjustment or correction from the 105C or 125C base values.

Cheers, Wayne