Question about under cabinet Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ap1985

My uncle met with him so I dont know the actual code section he failed us for. What's odd is he failed me for not putting a GFCI recepticle on the breakfast bar which is over 5 feet from the actual sink, and below the counter top, and for not having the dishwasher on a GFCI breaker. When he red stickered me for that he didnt site a code section either, he just wrote what he failed me for on the sticker. I also dont know what code year he is using the 2011 or the 2014. Im guessing because I am failing for things Ive never come across maybe its the '14? According to my uncle he says you cant use SJ cord between the lights it has to be 12/2 romex. Also that the Under Cabinet lights have to be on a lighting circuit only. Im not sure if he is just being a ball buster or if I am wrong. Ive done most of these things on the job site before and never had an issue, so its kind of strange to me.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My uncle met with him so I dont know the actual code section he failed us for. What's odd is he failed me for not putting a GFCI recepticle on the breakfast bar which is over 5 feet from the actual sink, and below the counter top, and for not having the dishwasher on a GFCI breaker. When he red stickered me for that he didnt site a code section either, he just wrote what he failed me for on the sticker. I also dont know what code year he is using the 2011 or the 2014. Im guessing because I am failing for things Ive never come across maybe its the '14? According to my uncle he says you cant use SJ cord between the lights it has to be 12/2 romex. Also that the Under Cabinet lights have to be on a lighting circuit only. Im not sure if he is just being a ball buster or if I am wrong. Ive done most of these things on the job site before and never had an issue, so its kind of strange to me.

A few thoughts:
NJ is on the 2014 NEC.
Receptacles within 6' of the sink require GFCI protection.
Dishwasher requires GFCI protection.
Flexible cords cannot be attached to the cabinets.
Lighting cannot be on the SABC.

Sounds like he got them all correct.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI for the dishwasher and the outlet withing six feet of the sink are new to 2014.

The other items have been the rule for a very long time. One thing not yet mentioned is flexible cord can't be used for permanent wiring of a structure. There are some exceptions involving luminaires, but your situation is not one of them.

rudiseldb

Question about under cabinet Lights

I would look at the manufactures installation instructions first NEC 110.3 other than that it would also be the rating of the conductor. If it went into the wall or a bored hole it would need to be listed to do so....I know it's anal but conductors even low voltage have to be listed for the use

I'm an AHJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I would look at the manufactures installation instructions first NEC 110.3 other than that it would also be the rating of the conductor. If it went into the wall or a bored hole it would need to be listed to do so....I know it's anal but conductors even low voltage have to be listed for the use

The manfacturers directions cannot reduce NEC requirments ahead of the fixture itself.

Ap1985

The manfacturers directions cannot reduce NEC requirments ahead of the fixture itself.

I will check them when I go over today, the wire feeding the light is 12/2 Romex so it would meet NEC Requirements. I didnt actually have to bore holes under the cabinet I just ran everything underneith and tacked them up using those supports. Really a shame because it looks so much nicer than Romex, but if thats what I need to pass I have to do it.

Heres what I am curious about I ran SJ cord on the walls inside a pit at Newark airport to power fans that come on for refueling a Jet. It was in seal tight for 5 feet then came out of a connector and strapped to the wall then brought to the machine and was exposed for 8 feet. It seems much more critical than an under cabinet light....

kwired

Electron manager
I will check them when I go over today, the wire feeding the light is 12/2 Romex so it would meet NEC Requirements. I didnt actually have to bore holes under the cabinet I just ran everything underneith and tacked them up using those supports. Really a shame because it looks so much nicer than Romex, but if thats what I need to pass I have to do it.

Heres what I am curious about I ran SJ cord on the walls inside a pit at Newark airport to power fans that come on for refueling a Jet. It was in seal tight for 5 feet then came out of a connector and strapped to the wall then brought to the machine and was exposed for 8 feet. It seems much more critical than an under cabinet light....
That doesn't sound code compliant either. Have you read through art 400 on flexible cords? In particular 400.7 uses permitted and 400.8 uses not permitted?

I think at the airport you have violated at least three uses not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.