Question about weatherhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Hello. I’m a 5th year apprentice who will be doing a 200 amp residential service (along with an ornery journeyman) for the first time. My question is about the weather head. I’ll be using 2” pvc, 4/0 AL and the service will be running up vertically and then underneath the roof line at a 45 degree angle. So as not to look like a fool in front of the journeyman, I’m wondering about the weather heads orientation. To keep water from entering, can I just turn it down or must I use a 90 and bring the pvc off the exterior? Thanks in advance

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
An ornery journeyman, say its not so
Welcome to the forum!
110.3 b is the rule for your answer.
I see weather heads installed horizontally, I suspect that is not allowed.
Let’s see what our other non-ornery users say😁

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

If I understand correctly, you will have the PVC running along the gable end of the roof.

As long as you rotate the weatherhead downward on the conduit, you should be fine.

Occupation
Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

If I understand correctly, you will have the PVC running along the gable end of the roof.

As long as you rotate the weatherhead downward on the conduit, you should be fine.
Thank you. This is my line of thinking but can’t find it in manufacturers specs or the NEC. I’ve till Friday to find a solid answer for myself. To be honest, being stuck with this journeyman on this job is the most stressful part. No one will work with him and being new to this shop, I have no say.
Thanks again.

Occupation
Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you. Yes the roof overhangs the side of the home about 12” or so. The pvc will be tucked under. It’s an odd looking, Jetson looking house.

Buck Parrish

What I think you have described is in the pic. So your weather head will be at a slight 45 . Like Larry said You'll not have any problems. Don't over think this , It's done all the time. Water doesn't usually travel up. Look around in 230 in that area. 230.26 for more info .

aaaaabuck electr.jpg

Occupation
Electrician
An ornery journeyman, say its not so
Welcome to the forum!
is the rule for your answer.
I see weather heads installed horizontally, I suspect that is not allowed.
Let’s see what our other non-ornery users say😁
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!
Listen learn and try to get along
of course. I’m best seen than heard. Sadly this man is going through a very nasty divorce. I very much feel for him but he’s extremely difficult to be around and completely unapproachable now. It’s why I’m afraid to make the slightest of mistakes.
thank you for the sound advice. Best of luck to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.