Question RE: 2022 California Title 24, Part 6 - Non-residential Section 130.5(d)(2) - 120V Controlled Receptacles

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
... "Each shall have" does not imply exclusivity in the "having."
I think to many it exactly does imply that, or else (for example) you use 'every' instead of 'each'. Whether you regard that as lack of consensus as to the meaning or a minority who are 'incorrect.' The 'dedicated disconnect' part of 705.12 had the word 'each' removed a couple cycles back to avoid this sort of confusion.

No, the controlled receptacles installed to comply with 130.5(D)(4) also have to comply with 130.5(D)(2), so that is not the reason for the difference in wording. The reason is that 130.5(D)(4) does impose a ratio, and 130.5(D)(2) doesn't.

Below is the whole text of 130.5(D), in case you've just been reading the excerpts in isolation.

Cheers, Wayne

Okay, I agree. I had not read the entirety carefully from the beginning.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I think to many it exactly does imply that, or else (for example) you use 'every' instead of 'each'.
Interesting. For me, even colloquially, if I wanted to convey exclusivity, I would say "each shall have its own" rather than just "each shall have."

Further, for technical writers and readers, I think that's the only plausible standard. [Admittedly, I'm approaching this as a mathematician, in which field this is clearly true.] So I don't find the 150.3(D)(2) wording to be ambiguous in this regard.

However, I agree that if you see "each shall have" as plausibly being read to imply exclusivity, then the 150.3(D)(2) wording is ambiguous. As would any usage of "each shall have" be without further clarifying modifiers.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
'Each student shall have a chair' doesn't imply exclusivity? They can all share a chair?
How about 'Provide a chair for each student'? Different?

I think the lesson for technical writers is to think very carefully before using the word 'each.'

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
'Each student shall have a chair' doesn't imply exclusivity? They can all share a chair?
You're using your outside knowledge that two people can't share a chair. So it's not the content of the sentence that implies exclusivity, it's the added context you're bringing to reading the sentence, the knowledge of how a student uses a chair.

If I say "each group member shall have a sponsor," that certainly doesn't imply that two members can't share the same sponsor. [It just says that for every group member, we can assign a sponsor. So we have a map from group members to sponsors.]

When reading 130.5(D)(2), I start with no expectation about exclusivity or non-exclusivity. Given that, the use of the word each does not add any meaning of exclusivity.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I think to many it exactly does imply that, or else (for example) you use 'every' instead of 'each'.
To resolve the intentions in this case, we can refer to the "2022 Nonresidential and Multifamily Compliance Manual" available from this web page: https://www.energy.ca.gov/publicati...family-compliance-manual-2022-building-energy

It states in Section 8.5, on page 8-13, "The controlled receptacle requirement does not require that there be one controlled receptacle for each uncontrolled receptacle."

So clearly here there is no intention of 130.5(D)(2) requiring a 1:1 ratio. As expected.

Cheers, Wayne

ericwg

Occupation
Associate Electrical Engineer
Thank so much to everyone for your replies. I agree with Wayne's position that in the lack of a 1:1 ratio defined in 130.5(d)(2) which is clearly defined in 130.5(d)(4), I am not obligated to provide controlled/uncontrolled receptacles in a 1:1 ratio for the conference room I am thinking of. For what it's worth (probably not much), reading all the documentation I could find from receptacle and plug load control system manufacturers, they typically say the same two things - 1) at a minimum, a controlled receptacle is required within 6ft of uncontrolled receptacles, and 2) it is acceptable to control the entire duplex receptacle or half of a splitwired receptacle. If I am correctly interpreting 1), for a space which requires a receptacle every 12 ft (an outlet within 6ft of any point along the wall), having every other receptacle being OS controlled is sufficient. If the last receptacle is not controlled, I am not required to install an additional controlled receptacle somewhere, i.e. the previous controlled receptacle 12ft away is sufficient.

To be clear, I had several spaces in mind when I asked this question. The main one is a conference room in which I will have way more than 1 receptacle every 12ft. However, based off the replies to this post and my own research, I feel comfortable providing only one OS controlled (splitwired) receptacle within 6ft of the uncontrolled receptacles placed at the 12ft intervals. Additional uncontrolled receptacles installed within that 12ft space will NOT reset the controlled receptacle counter so to speak. Does this make sense? Everyone agree this is reasonable?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If I am correctly interpreting 1), for a space which requires a receptacle every 12 ft (an outlet within 6ft of any point along the wall), having every other receptacle being OS controlled is sufficient.
Not if the spacing is (almost) 12' between receptacles, which is the minimum required to fulfill the first requirement above. With that minimum frequency of receptacles, each receptacle would need to be duplex and split-wired.

If you double the spacing to (almost, but not over) 6' between receptacles, then yes, every other one could be controlled.

In a conference room, if you put all the required receptacles sufficiently close together, you'd only need one controlled receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

ericwg

Occupation
Ok, I actually do see the problem now with the 12' spacing, which I probably shouldn't have even mentioned since I will be installing way more receptacles than that. My actual spacing will undoubtedly be closer to the 6' between receptacles, even more so in a few areas. In that situation, a controlled receptacle stuck just about anywhere on the wall would be within 6' of an uncontrolled receptacle. What I don't see is how you justify your last sentence - "In a conference room, if you put all the required receptacles sufficiently close together, you'd only need one controlled receptacle." Humor me, how are you getting there?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Ok, I actually do see the problem now with the 12' spacing, which I probably shouldn't have even mentioned since I will be installing way more receptacles than that. My actual spacing will undoubtedly be closer to the 6' between receptacles, even more so in a few areas. In that situation, a controlled receptacle stuck just about anywhere on the wall would be within 6' of an uncontrolled receptacle. What I don't see is how you justify your last sentence - "In a conference room, if you put all the required receptacles sufficiently close together, you'd only need one controlled receptacle." Humor me, how are you getting there?

Since you asked, I did some research, see attachment.

Attachments

• Electrical Power Distrobution - Non Residential-.2019.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In that situation, a controlled receptacle stuck just about anywhere on the wall would be within 6' of an uncontrolled receptacle.
Which is the obverse of the issue--there's not a limitation on where the controlled receptacles can go, there's a limitation on where the uncontrolled receptacles can go. If you want an uncontrolled receptacle in location X, you need to ensure that X is within 6' of a controlled receptacle, by adding a controlled receptacle if necessary.

What I don't see is how you justify your last sentence - "In a conference room, if you put all the required receptacles sufficiently close together, you'd only need one controlled receptacle." Humor me, how are you getting there?
If in the conference room you put all the required receptacles on a single wall section that is under 12' wide, and you put one controlled receptacle in the middle of that 12' wide section, then every receptacle has a controlled receptacle within 6' of it.

Cheers, Wayne

ericwg

Occupation
If in the conference room you put all the required receptacles on a single wall section that is under 12' wide, and you put one controlled receptacle in the middle of that 12' wide section, then every receptacle has a controlled receptacle within 6' of it.
Ahhh, yes. I see that. Thanks Wayne.

ericwg

Occupation
Since you asked, I did some research, see attachment.
Thanks so much Michael. There is a lot of good info in here, but there was one section in particular I think helps state the requirement more plainly, also reinforcing what others have stated in here. That is this:

Energy Code Ace EPD - Uncontrolled Receptacle.jpg

As Wayne just confirmed, there is this 6 foot radius which exists around each uncontrolled receptacle whereby you must provide a controlled receptacle, which given what we have discussed would be both "outlets" of a duplex receptacle (at least for me in this scenario), OR, I need to use split-wired receptacles everywhere where one "outlet" is controlled and the other is not. This goes against one of my original queries - would it be ok to use a split-wired receptacle (one outlet controlled, one not) to cover the "controlled receptacle" requirement, but have a myriad of uncontrolled duplex receptacles.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Thanks so much Michael. There is a lot of good info in here, but there was one section in particular I think helps state the requirement more plainly, also reinforcing what others have stated in here. That is this:
If you just treat each duplex as 2 receptacles (which is what the cited definitions say), you can just drop the part about split-wired receptacles (it could be deleted from the Energy Code). Having just one of the receptacles of a duplex be controlled (via split-wiring) satisfies the requirement for any uncontrolled receptacles within 6' of that single controlled receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

ericwg

Occupation
As far as I'm concerned, if you just treat each duplex as 2 receptacles (which is what the cited definitions say), you can just drop the part about split-wired receptacles (it could be deleted from the Energy Code). Having just one of the receptacles of a duplex be controlled (via split-wiring) satisfies the requirement for any uncontrolled receptacles within 6' of that single controlled receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne
I am really sorry if this refuels the fire and refutes what was stated earlier, but based off that statement from the 2019 Energy Code Ace summary, as well as a graphic in another section of it showing only duplex receptacles for controlled receptacles, i.e. both "outlets" or "receptacles" of the duplex were being controlled. In other words, the way I view their interpretation disagrees with your last statement. You must either have a one controlled duplex receptacle (both "outlets" controlled) within 6ft of an uncontrolled receptacle OR you must install split-wired duplex receptacles throughout the entire space where half of ALL of them are controlled and the other half is uncontrolled. It may be really thin, but the fact that the 6ft radius is only mentioned in the first of the two options backs this claim. If it was ok to have a split-wired receptacle in the first part, they would have included it. The fact they did not mention the 6ft radius in the section part is because it doesn't matter when ALL of the receptacles are split-wired, 1/2 controlled, 1/2 uncontrolled. I take it you disagree?

mtnelect

Occupation

View attachment 2570883

As Wayne just confirmed, there is this 6 foot radius which exists around each uncontrolled receptacle whereby you must provide a controlled receptacle, which given what we have discussed would be both "outlets" of a duplex receptacle (at least for me in this scenario), OR, I need to use split-wired receptacles everywhere where one "outlet" is controlled and the other is not. This goes against one of my original queries - would it be ok to use a split-wired receptacle (one outlet controlled, one not) to cover the "controlled receptacle" requirement, but have a myriad of uncontrolled duplex receptacles.

On the HVAC side, there has been 18 states that have adopted California's Title 24 as of this date. This will be the standard eventually, so you will be well ahead of the curve by understanding Title 24. Now the Air Quality Management District in Southern California is requiring all warehouse at a certain square footage file annual reports on air quality matters, like refrigerant leakages and such.

jaggedben

Occupation
On the HVAC side, there has been 18 states that have adopted California's Title 24 as of this date. ...

Really? Which ones? Also please don't say Title 24 (which is the ENTIRE California building codes) if you really mean only one part of it, like the Energy Code. I know lots of people do that but I absolutely hate it.

mtnelect

Occupation
Really? Which ones? Also please don't say Title 24 (which is the ENTIRE California building codes) if you really mean only one part of it, like the Energy Code. I know lots of people do that but I absolutely hate it.

For now, it's just HVAC.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You must either have a one controlled duplex receptacle (both "outlets" controlled) within 6ft of an uncontrolled receptacle OR you must install split-wired duplex receptacles throughout the entire space where half of ALL of them are controlled and the other half is uncontrolled.
This would be a correct interpretation if 130.5(d)(2) said "Install at least one controlled duplex receptacle. . ." But it does not, the word duplex is not there.

And the definitions are very clear. The Note after 130.5 refers you to the California Electrical Code for terms not defined in the California Energy Code. "Receptacle" is not defined in the California Energy Code, but the California Electrical Code does define receptacle. The definition is adopted from the 2020 NEC unamended:

2020 NEC said:
Receptacle. A contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug, or for the direct connection of electrical utilization equipment designed to mate with the corresponding contact device. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke or strap. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke or strap. (CMP-18)

Informational Note: A duplex receptacle is an example of a multiple receptacle that has two receptacles on the same yoke or strap.

So a duplex receptacle is two receptacles, as the informational note states. Hence, controlling half of a duplex receptacle suffices to provide a "controlled receptacle." Interpretations to the contrary are simply muddled and haven't followed the definitions.

Cheers, Wayne