Question RE: 2022 California Title 24, Part 6 - Non-residential Section 130.5(d)(2) - 120V Controlled Receptacles

ericwg

Occupation
Associate Electrical Engineer
This would be a correct interpretation if 130.5(d)(2) said "Install at least one controlled duplex receptacle. . ." But it does not, the word duplex is not there.

And the definitions are very clear. The Note after 130.5 refers you to the California Electrical Code for terms not defined in the California Energy Code. "Receptacle" is not defined in the California Energy Code, but the California Electrical Code does define receptacle. The definition is adopted from the 2020 NEC unamended:

So a duplex receptacle is two receptacles, as the informational note states. Hence, controlling half of a duplex receptacle suffices to provide a "controlled receptacle." Interpretations to the contrary are simply muddled and haven't followed the definitions.

Cheers, Wayne
First, I must say, I appreciate your logic and how you arrived at this. Based off the definition of Receptacle in the Energy Code, and the lack of clarification in Title 24, I must concede this is a reasonable interpretation and that only if/when they provide additional detail in 130.5(d)(2), I/we are justified in providing a split-wired duplex receptacle and having only half of it be controlled. The only thing that gives me pause, which I mentioned in my last post, why do you think they would specifically mention the 6ft spacing in the first half of that OR sentence and not in the second half, unless they intending what I posited in my last post? I think I know what you'll say...because the spacing applies whether you are installing a fully controlled duplex receptacle or a split-wired duplex receptacle, thus, they didn't repeat the "6ft" comment?

ericwg

Occupation
Associate Electrical Engineer
I must admit, I honestly just recognized that unlike how 210.52(A)(1) clarifies the 6 ft measurement is "measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space", 130.5(d)(2) doesn't say anything about how the 6ft for a controlled receptacle should be measured. I think someone might have mentioned "6ft radius" earlier and I didn't take that literally. But, I am now. I'm putting a 6ft circle around my uncontrolled receptacles.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
why do you think they would specifically mention the 6ft spacing in the first half of that OR sentence and not in the second half
Given the definitions, I have no idea why 130.5(D)(2) mentions split-wired receptacles at all. The entire clause after the OR could be deleted without changing the meaning. Perhaps it is just to remind us that a duplex is 2 receptacles, and split-wiring one still gives a controlled receptacle. But that would be more clearly done with an informational note.

Cheers, Wayne