question??? / RHW - IMC Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
08 code
# 12 wire, type RHW-2 without outer covering, fixture wire. how many can fit in a 3/4" intermediate metal conduit (IMC).

a. 12
b. 8
c. 6
d. 9

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
08 code
# 12 wire, type RHW-2 without outer covering, fixture wire. how many can fit in a 3/4" intermediate metal conduit (IMC).

a. 12
b. 8
c. 6:grin:
d. 9

type RHW-2 without outer covering, fixture wire does not appere in article 402.3 Fixture wires. what do you mean by type RHW-2 "without outer covering"

6 #12 RHW-2 can fit in a 3/4 (IMC)Page 70-719

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
type RHW-2 without outer covering, fixture wire does not appere in article 402.3 Fixture wires. what do you mean by type RHW-2 "without outer covering"

6 #12 RHW-2 can fit in a 3/4 (IMC)Page 70-719

9 without covering, see notes pg 70-722.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'd have to go with Chris on RHW-2 WITHOUT outer covering..... 9

iwire

Staff member
Using the 2008 NEC looking at Table 5 on page 70-676.

RHW-2* = 0.0353

At the bottom of Table 5 on page 70-679 it tells us

*Types RHH, RHW, and RHW-2 without outer covering.

Page 70-722 is in Annex C and is not part of the code.

cadpoint

Box of Rocks here, to lazy to get da book from da car!

I thought the last letter, in this case "W" was for only the outside jacket covering the inside insulated wire, thus making it a poorly written question; reflecting poor use of these wires in a real world application.

:roll:, What do I know... only First COC...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bob,
Am I mistaken that on pg 676 that although the heading has the *, the RHW-2 does not, however, on pg. 677 the THW-2 is followed by the * and on 677 the area is 0.260

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Box of Rocks here, to lazy to get da book from da car!

I thought the last letter, in this case "W" was for only the outside jacket covering the inside insulated wire, thus making it a poorly written question; reflecting poor use of these wires in a real world application.

:roll:, What do I know... only First COC...
The "W" is for a conductor that can be used in a wet location. It is not for the type of jacket.
The "R" is for thermoset (rubber) insulation, the H is for 75?C insulation (the addition of the -2 at the end of this insulation type says that it is a 90?C insulation, often 90?C is designated by "HH").

cadpoint

The "W" is for a conductor that can be used in a wet location. It is not for the type of jacket.
The "R" is for thermoset (rubber) insulation, the H is for 75?C insulation (the addition of the -2 at the end of this insulation type says that it is a 90?C insulation, often 90?C is designated by "HH").

Thanks Don ! I did search for "Lettering" before I made my statement, an I do appreciate the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.