Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
Ok, now what is the equipment hung on/sitting on/mounted to??
Conceret pad ahh ja thats structure but thats not where existing electrodes are at in switchboard. I am so confused. How can bdlg and swbd be two different structure. Swbd by itself is equipment.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

user 100

Conceret pad ahh ja thats structure but thats not where existing electrodes are at in switchboard. I am so confused. How can bdlg and swbd be two different structure. Swbd by itself is equipment.

I told you earlier to look at the ART 100 def for structure, and just in case you don't have your book with you:

Structure: "That which is built or constructed"----a slab/pad whatever was put there by somebody, and does support electrical equipment-
it is a structure imo and to repeat, you do need a GE at the building fed by the SWB.

david

Conceret pad ahh ja thats structure but thats not where existing electrodes are at in switchboard. I am so confused. How can bdlg and swbd be two different structure. Swbd by itself is equipment.Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

“I have existing switchboard outside building with incoming utility and grounding electrode approximately 10 to 20 feet from building. From the switchboard I have one feeder going into Panel A inside building about 180 feet from existing switchboard. Do I need to have ground electrodes at Panel A inside building per Nec 2014 Article 250.32?”

you added a detail that the switchboard is 10 to 20 feet from the building where panel A is located. In a thread that got closed because it was a duplicate posting of the same question

Lets say just for the point of discussion the switchboard is equipment and no structure at this outside switchgear that the NEC has concern for.

You state that the switchgear has a grounding electrode system installed. And lets say that from an NEC prospective there is no requirement for that grounding electrode.

You take a feeder to a building that clearly is being feed from service equipment at the switchboard

Why would the building where panel A is, be allowed to eliminate a required grounding electrode system

If you installed a grounding electrode system at a equipment that wasn't required by code, you could not eliminate a grounding electrode system at a building that is required by code.

Keep in mind I am working from the 2008 NEC, is their a code change that the building where panel A is at, no longer has to have a grounding electrode system?

Also keep in mind i am not stating there is no structure where the switchboard is located, i will let others discus that issue with you

david

It is my opinion that the service equipment grounded conductor is required to be bonded to a grounding electrode.

To that point i do not think it matters if the switchboard is a structure or not.

The only point i am trying to make concerning what needs to happen at the building where panel A is , concerning that buildings grounding electrode systems.

Panel A's building needs a grounding electrode system

codequestion

Banned
you added a detail that the switchboard is 10 to 20 feet from the building where panel A is located. In a thread that got closed because it was a duplicate posting of the same question

Lets say just for the point of discussion the switchboard is equipment and no structure at this outside switchgear that the NEC has concern for.

You state that the switchgear has a grounding electrode system installed. And lets say that from an NEC prospective there is no requirement for that grounding electrode.

You take a feeder to a building that clearly is being feed from service equipment at the switchboard

Why would the building where panel A is, be allowed to eliminate a required grounding electrode system

If you installed a grounding electrode system at a equipment that wasn't required by code, you could not eliminate a grounding electrode system at a building that is required by code.

Keep in mind I am working from the 2008 NEC, is their a code change that the building where panel A is at, no longer has to have a grounding electrode system?

Also keep in mind i am not stating there is no structure where the switchboard is located, i will let others discus that issue with you
You got it all wrong. Panel A to switchboard is 200 feet. The switchboard is grounded has service electrode system. Panel A is located inside the building. From building exterior to switchboard is 20 feet.

david

You got it all wrong. Panel A to switchboard is 200 feet. The switchboard is grounded has service electrode system. Panel A is located inside the building. From building exterior to switchboard is 20 feet.

You read what i said to mean panel a and the switchboard are twenty feet from each other that is not what i was saying maybe i should have said it better.

you added a detail that the switchboard is 10 to 20 feet from the building that panel A is located in. In a thread that got closed because it was a duplicate posting of the same question

codequestion

Banned
You read what i said to mean panel a and the switchboard are twenty feet from each other that is not what i was saying maybe i should have said it better.

you added a detail that the switchboard is 10 to 20 feet from the building that panel A is located in. In a thread that got closed because it was a duplicate posting of the same question
Thread that was closed:
"I have existing switchboard outside building with incoming utility and grounding electrode approximately 10 to 20 feet from building. From the switchboard I have one feeder going into Panel A inside building about 180 feet from existing switchboard.

Do I need to have ground electrodes at Panel A inside building per Nec 2014 Article 250.32?"

So we do need GE at Panel A?

david

You got it all wrong. Panel A to switchboard is 200 feet. Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

That doesn’t have any effect on the discussion

You got it all wrong. The switchboard is grounded has service electrode system. Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Ok that makes the service at the sight a grounded system and the grounded conductor is earthed by a grounding electrode conductor to a grounding electrode as should be.

You got it all wrong. Panel A is located inside the building Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

That has little effect on the discussion but does raise a question to the location of the buildings main disconnect.

Does not have any effect in the discussion of the building where panel A is located needing a grounding electrode system bonding the equipment grounding system in the building

You got it all wrong. From building exterior to switchboard is 20 feet.Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Since the service is not in the building or not attached to the building the building is being supplied by a feeder from outside the building

225.1 Scope.
This article covers requirements for outside branch circuits and feeders run on or between buildings, structures, or poles on the premises; and electrical equipment and wiring for the supply of utilization equipment that is located on or attached to the outside of buildings, structures, or poles.

Pole: a long, slender, rounded piece of wood or metal, typically used with one end placed in the ground as a support for something.

225.2 Other Articles.
Application of other articles, including additional requirements to specific cases of equipment and conductors, is shown in Table 225.2.
Services article 230, Grounding article 250

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).
The building where panel A is located in is being supplied by a feeder

Last edited:

david

Thread that was closed:
"I have existing switchboard outside building with incoming utility and grounding electrode approximately 10 to 20 feet from building. From the switchboard I have one feeder going into Panel A inside building about 180 feet from existing switchboard.

Do I need to have ground electrodes at Panel A inside building per Nec 2014 Article 250.32?"

Yes the equipment grounding system in the building where panel A is located needs bonded to a grounding electrode system by a grounding electrode conductor., metal water systems need bonded metal structure steel needs bonded all the things you typically see at a service except there is no bond to the grounded conductor in a feeder supplied building

Status
Not open for further replies.