Raintight fittings and emt

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Technically EMT RT fittings are only UL listed for use with a locknut (not a hub) and I have ran into an AHJ whom enforces that.
Interesting; at least one outdoor box vendor says their hubs accept any threaded fitting: https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/5320-0.pdf

The raintight EMT compression fittings ship with gaskets on the threaded end; I would think that would be enough given that the box vendors approve the fittings. I don't see what the locknut does other than decrease thread engagement between the adapter and the box hub.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Interesting; at least one outdoor box vendor says their hubs accept any threaded fitting: https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/5320-0.pdf

The raintight EMT compression fittings ship with gaskets on the threaded end; I would think that would be enough given that the box vendors approve the fittings. I don't see what the locknut does other than decrease thread engagement between the adapter and the box hub.
But the UL Guide Information for "Conduit Fittings" (DWTT) says:
Male fittings not provided with a locknut, intended for securement to a threaded hub, are marked on the smallest unit shipping carton, "For securement to a threaded hub only," or the equivalent.

Male fittings provided with a locknut, also intended for securement to boxes with threaded entries, hubs or fittings with internal female threads (e.g., conduit bodies, couplings), are marked on the smallest unit shipping carton, "For securement to a threaded hub," or the equivalent.
I have not seen that marking in the field.

11Haze29

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Conduit is never 100% watertight, and trying to make it 100% watertight is a futile effort. Mother Nature will always win in the end.
My philosophy has always been to assume water will enter the conduit and to use gravity to my advantage. Always enter and leave and enclosure from the bottom, or lower side below any internals. Then create a low point in the conduit and install a conduit drain. I usually drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the enclosure as a means to drain the enclosure should it be infiltrated with rainwater. With smaller conductor, you add a small downward kink in the conductors to create a drip edge. Water will migrate down a cable like water clinging to a bad water pitcher.

1703350009506.png

kwired

Electron manager

Them gaskets are junk. When they first started pushing these RT fittings I used them as intended. Came back to a few installs within just a year or two and find the gasket deteriorated enough that it doesn't seal and leaves more of a hole for leakage than had I not used the gasket at all. Have since gone back to using a myers hub and not using the gasket or locknut that comes with the fitting.

You don't use the locknut on a box with integral hub that would decrease thread engagement as you mentioned, it is for the inside of drilled or KO holes in thin walled enclosures.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
You don't use the locknut on a box with integral hub that would decrease thread engagement as you mentioned, it is for the inside of drilled or KO holes in thin walled enclosures.
Yes of course, that's why its use as in post #5 seems unnecessary to me.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes of course, that's why its use as in post #5 seems unnecessary to me.
Where are you proposing to place it if you did use it other than on the outside of the enclosure?

I have brought up the fact that the gaskets on most these fittings are junk and deteriorate in the elements in relatively short time. This leaves them with more gap for leakage than had you not used the gasket at all, and reason I quit using them. So far no inspector has ever challenged me with this. But from experience if one ever does I will not go down easily.

Occupation
Solar EPC
Now I’m wondering on my original design because I went back to Lowe’s and saw that these EMT LBs are marked on the box for Wet Locations even though they are set screw:

IMG_5866.jpeg

Slowly learning the nuance between Dry/Wet Location rated vs rain/water tight.

My understanding now, especially since inside the conduit is considered wet, is that the fittings simply need to be rated for wet locations not any kind of “tight.”

To that end I’m looking at just replacing the screw adapters with raintight adapters and being done with it .

Thoughts?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Now I’m wondering on my original design because I went back to Lowe’s and saw that these EMT LBs are marked on the box for Wet Locations even though they are set screw:

View attachment 2569274

My understanding now, especially since inside the conduit is considered wet, is that the fittings simply need to be rated for wet locations not any kind of “tight.”

To that end I’m looking at just replacing the screw adapters with raintight adapters and being done with it .

Thoughts?
If it's threaded on the inside also then that may be used like we mentioned about threaded imc and rmc don't need rain tight just threadless fittings.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

View attachment 2569274

Thoughts?
Interesting I highly doubt its a listed rain tight EMT fitting on its own.
I bet you'd have to use a piece of rigid or IMC to keep the UL listing.
Contact the manufacturer and post the UL listing file DWTT7.E121488 here.

Occupation
Solar EPC
I feel like that label is BS.
Interesting I highly doubt its a listed rain tight EMT fitting on its own.
I bet you'd have to use a piece of rigid or IMC to keep the UL listing.
Contact the manufacturer and post the UL listing file DWTT7.E121488 here.

Wanted to close the loop on this so I reached out to Sigma directly about these and this was their response:

"The parts ARE listed for use in Wet Locations. As for the 3 different variants, the difference is as below."
LBSS050 – This is just the Conduit Body without any Gasket & Cover
LBSS050AN – This is Conduit Body assembled with a Stamped Cover and Neoprene Gasket
LBSS050CG – This is Conduit Body assembled with a Die Cast Cover and Fiber Gasket"

These PNs are specifically their EMT LBs with the double set-screw: https://sigmaengineeredsolutions.com/?s=LBSS050

I think that brings me back to what I've come to understand in this thread about the nuances between 'wet location rated' and rain and/or watertight.

The conduit body can be used in a wet location and is likely designed not to corrode, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean it's meant to keep water out. In this case though, the EMT butt-joint inside the screw connector may provide some sufficient level of protection that lets it be listed for wet locations.

kwired

Electron manager
Wanted to close the loop on this so I reached out to Sigma directly about these and this was their response:

"The parts ARE listed for use in Wet Locations. As for the 3 different variants, the difference is as below."
LBSS050 – This is just the Conduit Body without any Gasket & Cover
LBSS050AN – This is Conduit Body assembled with a Stamped Cover and Neoprene Gasket
LBSS050CG – This is Conduit Body assembled with a Die Cast Cover and Fiber Gasket"

These PNs are specifically their EMT LBs with the double set-screw: https://sigmaengineeredsolutions.com/?s=LBSS050

I think that brings me back to what I've come to understand in this thread about the nuances between 'wet location rated' and rain and/or watertight.

The conduit body can be used in a wet location and is likely designed not to corrode, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean it's meant to keep water out. In this case though, the EMT butt-joint inside the screw connector may provide some sufficient level of protection that lets it be listed for wet locations.
You didn't ask about "ingress protection" ratings ;)
With EMT and the set screws vs a threaded entry.